Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ralph22
Beginner
Message 1 of 41

Netprotect plus. Real-time scanning constantly switching off

Go to solution

I keep getting told my "Computer is at risk".  When I check, I find my "Real-Time scanning" is switched off.  However I try, when I switch it back on, moments later it is off again.  With a bit of fiddling about, I can get it to remain "active".  However, the moment I open "Outlook Express 6" I become unprotected, once again.  Thereafter, "Netprotect Plus" is overly sensitive and drops out continually, even if I've closed " Outlook Express 6".  I have to fiddle about with it again, making sure "Outlook Express" is closed, to get it to remain operating "as it should". 

0 Ratings
40 REPLIES 40
Ralph22
Beginner
Message 2 of 41

Re: Netprotect plus. Real-time scanning constantly switching off

Go to solution

I think I've sorted it.  Completely removed McAfee from my system (inc "Site advisor")  and completed a reinstall. It took several attempts. All now seems fine !Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
EricW79
Message 3 of 41

Go to solution

That's hardly a solution. It's a workaround and one that we shouldn't have to use if software is properly tested and distributed

0 Ratings
Gasket
Beginner
Message 4 of 41

Go to solution

I had similar problems with Windows 7 and BT Netprotect plus when the latest update came to my laptop.  I found that I could not run manual scans and I kept on getting 'red' messages saying that there was an error or the scanning had switched off.  It was also slowing my computer down and causing explorer not to work properly.  Having uninstalled/reinstalled several times and also used the Mcafee removal tool as well I finally made a cup of strong black coffee and contacted BT's helpdesk.

The frontline staff just confirmed what I had told them so I was elevated up the social scale.  I was informed that there is a problem with Windows 7 and the latest version of Netprotect plus with certain processors and there may be a fix in 2-3 months time......  I was advised to download another antivirus.

I downloaded the free AV from Microsoft to both my computers and it installed with no problems and it runs a treat.  Needless to say I have no plans to return to BT Netplus protect.

0 Ratings
Susanne
Contributor
Message 5 of 41

Go to solution

Hi

I've got the same problem but with XP on a Samsung Netbook. Relatime scanning keeps dropping and it won't let me scan the computer.

If I have to download the Microsoft antivirus do I have to remove Netprotect plus? I will lose site advisor and firewall etc then won't I?

Or what else should I do?

Thanks

Sue

0 Ratings
Susanne
Contributor
Message 6 of 41

Go to solution

This morning when I checked it still wasn't working properly. 

There was then a notification of an update to download and restart and all is now working fine (fingers crossed)

Sue

0 Ratings
KernowMike
Message 7 of 41

Go to solution

I also have been having this problem for the last two days, I also re installed the Net Protect Software and thought I had solved the problem. No such luck, the problem has returned despite the re instalation. Clearly there needs to be an update to correct this error.

0 Ratings
Greenstar44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 41

Go to solution

As the administrator I have 4 PC's covered by net protect plus and my wifes PC that is no different from the others keeps getting this red warning that real time scanning is no on, but it does not respond to being switched on- BT please get McAfee to resolve this issue.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 41

Go to solution

The real time scanner can become disabled (turned off) if

1) There's a conflict with another installed antivirus software
   (for example, I had to remove MSE, not just deactivate it)

2) There's a virus on the PC - I suggest using Malwarebytes (can be used with BTNP)
   http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
   Pay close attention during download to make sure you untick any toolbars or additional extras
   (A desktop shortcut is all you need and you can manually update, rather than automatically)
   You could be suprised by what it finds that BTNP didn't!

3) A BTNP update didn't install correctly

4) You've carried out a system restore on your PC - BTNP should update and correct itself after a short time

Possible solutions
remove BTNP using add/remove
Use the McAfee removal tool (steps 1&2 only) - http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
Then download it again.
or
XP - Click Start, Run, type services.msc, and click OK.
Vista or 7 - Type services.msc in search, right-click services, select Run As Administrator, then click Yes.

Look for McShield service and check the status.
If the status is Stopped, right-click the McShield service and click Start.
When McShield displays started, close the window.
Open BTNP and verify that Real-Time Scanning is enabled.
Close BTNP
Restart computer and check real time scanner again.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If Real-Time Scanning still switches off

*Download and run the oas-disabled-fix.cmd utility
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/oas-disabled-fix.cmd
Restart the computer after tool completes.
The real time scanner should stay enabled now.

*I HAVE NOT TRIED THE ABOVE LINK, SO UNSURE IF IT WORKS, BUT McAFEE HAVE CREATED IT!
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Bryan536
Beginner
Message 10 of 41

Go to solution

Just a comment for this problem. Yesterday I started to get the Macafee drop out problem. I also kept losing my  wireless broadband connection and my wireless printer stopped working.

Today I had to fully re-install  the printer. I also uninstalled Macafee and re-installed but the problem did not go away.

What had happed to me was I had purchased some wireless speakers to listen to my music around the house and eventually I realised the problem only occured when this wireless device was plugged in, everything worked correctly when this device was not in operation i.e. the wireless dongle not working.

Looking on the manufacturers web site other people were having a similar problem and the cure was to move the speaker system wireless dongle  away from the computer wireless card and /or dongle. This I did as I have a floating belkin usb device i.e. on a long lead. Since doing this I have had no more problems with either Macafee or broadband and the printer works every time.

Just thought this may ring a bell with some of you and your problems.

0 Ratings