Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SharpShooter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Netprotectplus - is it usless?

Go to solution
Hi, i get Netprotect plus in my bundle, recently had several infections of adware, so obviously the 'protection'. failed miserably. This leaves me nervous as to its claimed abilities.

I ran spyhunter4 which reported 3000 + infections, of varying levels and removed then sfter oayment was made.
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Netprotectplus - is it usless?

Go to solution

BtNetprotect is an antivirus product and in my opinion not a very good one, so it will not necessarily stop adware.

You do not need to pay to remove malware or adware. You can download and use free products such as Malwarbytes https://www.malwarebytes.org/downloads/ or ADW Cleaner https://toolslib.net/downloads/finish/1/  both are easy to use.

My advice and that of others on the forum would be to uninstall BTNetprotect. It can cause problems on some computers and is a resource hog. Do a search of the forum to see the problems. There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Avast Free and AVG Free.

If you do want to uninstall BTNetprotect use this guide and make sure you use the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after you have restarted your computer.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13523

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

I will go one step further that gg30340.

There is not much that I pay for software wise on my PC's but one thing I do pay for is a security suite , ie: anti virus/firewall etc. If you do not wish to purchase one then do as gg30340 suggests look at some of the Free ones. Might have to put up with some adverts .

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
Agreed.
There are some good paid-for Internet Security Suites Available. It depends on your computer processing power and capacity.
There are also "free" alternatives which take up more of your own skills and time.
drewclement
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
I've had it for a few years and seems to have worked fine. I think if someone wants to infect computers no virus protect will save you but when the virus is isolated and the techies figure out how to identify it, they send it out over the updates and we're safe. Just have to pray you've not got it yet 🙂
0 Ratings
SharpShooter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
Many thanks for above help and content, i wonder if as 'net protect' is advertised as part of a service 'benifit' i should report BT to trading standards?

My progress/conclusions , while Spy Hunter 4 is not cheap has a very deep and seemingly thourough scanner, it takes many hours to complete it's scans but did remove the adware i was having issues with while being very easy to use.

I could have left it at that, these days i like to support really good software that has saved me a lot of time and agro as a 'thank you'. I ran the free trial and when i declined ti upgrade u was iffered a really massive discount paying about £8 for 6 months so though why not?

Free version of AVG i had used in the past for many years prior to going to BT services from what was Telewest (now Virgin), switching due to many cable faults on the under pavement copper cable between my home and the local cabinet.

I also Kaspersky trial and was tempted to switch, but having decided which version wanted, proceeded ti basket and found it had added other options i did not want - including auto renew already ticked to buy, i take great exception to this practice and so canceled.
Lets face it, if your walking around a shop and the staff start putting items in your trolley without asking - would they not risk waking uo with a crowd looking at them?

Why di si with buying software?
0 Ratings