cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Norton Antivirus

Are BT aware of this after changing from MaCafee to Norton.

Hi, I have been a reader of the magazine Computeractive and in issue 624 dated 15th February it mentions a software warning on Nortons 360 antivirus. In the following information it mentions that the Norton Crypto mining tool is luckily not switched on by default. Please refer to the following details I have copied from my magazine.

43E4C87D-7397-4662-A92A-D6E0C8D9FFF1.jpeg

Paul Croft.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Norton Antivirus

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Hi Distinguished Sage.

Thank you for the quick reply and link. There are mixed messages amongst the forum replies but as I understand it, the Norton crypto-mining tool is not activated and I did not certainly see an option referring to it when downloading the software. So if it is not activated by default there should be no problem. Can you confirm please whether it is okay to continue using Norton 360 or can Norton activate this via a future update without your permission. This is surely something BT should have looked into.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

I do not work for BT or Norton so I am not in a position to answer for them regarding whether it should have been looked into or if it can be activated at some other date.

I would suspect that Norton would not activate it without first seeking the permission of the user or at least giving the customer the option to turn it off if it were activated.

As regards continuing to use Norton that would need to be your decision but I do not see any reason to stop using it.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Thanks again Distinguished Sage.

I am actually a retired BT employee working for them for 47 years. I agree that Birton would normally have to give the customer the option of switching the Crypto mining tool on but unfortunately within the computer world this does not always happen, and as proved with Microsoft any update can suddenly change the settings . Anyway thanks again for your input. I’ve now taken it further with my computer magazine group who recently published the story of the Crypto- mining tool, as they also advise their readers to use Norton software and they may be able to advise further. As of now I will continue to use Norton which will probably prove to be all okay in the end. To be honest I was quite happy with McAfee but BT obviously got a cheaper offer.

Thanks again, and all the best.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

According to Norton, Norton Crypto is an 'opt-in' package, where available. Don't 'opt-in'!
I've either deleted ncrypto.exe, or renamed it. I don't want 3rd parties messing with my pc, at any price. Although, any package on your machine is having a punt around, all the time?
Another Norton anomaly:- Enable 'Special Offer Notification'  ¦ Run 'Smart Scan' and the results return various 'bloat' files, that may or may not require deleting. Keep 'Special Offer Notification'  disabled, and the files aren't presented. Norton are attempting to sell you 'Norton Utilities'.TTS 2.gif

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Company-Pensioner.

Thanks for your reply. I already had the special offer notification disabled. Ncrypto.exe does not exist on my system so all should be okay. To be honest I preferred McAfee to Norton anyway. As you say any package can have a punt around.

Much appreciated. 

0 Ratings