cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Norton Device Security message

Norton device security on laptop has message saying issues found - "computer performance improvements are needed" but there is nothing to tell me what action I need to take... Can you help? Thanks.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Norton Device Security message

You may be better to post on the Norton Forum where you will probably find people who are more knowledgeable about Norton than those on this forum.

Norton Community | Forum, Release Announcements

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for that, found the answer there.  I did not realise I had to be logged on as administrator to access all Norton functions, with McAfee you could see everything from all accounts on laptop.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

@Strelwrote:

Norton device security on laptop has message saying issues found - "computer performance improvements are needed" but there is nothing to tell me what action I need to take... Can you help? Thanks.

In the product history. Norton has infuriating messages, with no resolution. They're probably trying to sell you Norton Utilities. Norton used to do a Registry Cleaner. Now, they just point to the Registry, in the product history. It's a lure; if it has no message resolution. Allegedly, my Norton product DEFRAGS my SSD when it reaches 10%'ish fragmented ?
The most informative thing about Norton is the 'GREEN TICK', 'You Are Protected'. Does just what it says on the tin !
If you like delving into SSD/HDD, in Windows Explorer, or equivalent. You'll probably find that a periodic DEFRAG, and EMPTY RECYCLE BIN is sufficient. There's a whole raft of commercial utilities, that allude to speeding up your computer. You can do a lot of damage to a machine, by accessing a hard-drive and pretending to be a software-engineer.
Everything considered; computers are best left alone. Unless of course. you feel personally that there's a problem. Don't be swayed by open-ended messages from the commercial sector; they're selling product.TTS.gif

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

COMPANY-PENSIONER

You should not defrag an SSD.

See link

Should You Defrag an SSD? | Crucial.com

Message 6 of 7

@gg30340wrote:

COMPANY-PENSIONER

See link

From my Norton UI / Performance / Optimize Disk. It indicates on activation, the % fragmented. When it shows 10%, it DEFRAGS AUTOMATICALLY. I've removed 3x "X" from Norton / Settings / Task Scheduling. I currently have nothing 'scheduled'. Worth drilling-down. If I look in MS DEFRAG it indicates that nothing has happened.
'Crucial' article: middle of the road.Pinocchio300.gif

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@gg30340wrote:

COMPANY-PENSIONER

See link

I've had a look into the Norton on my machines.
I have 3 'X' boxes on Task Scheduling, that appear as a 'default' on all of my machines.
I have removed the 'X's, and have no Tasks Scheduling.
I implement manually, as required 'Removes' :-
Internet Explorer Temporary Files, Windows Temporary Files, and Internet Explorer History.
(What's Internet Explorer, these days) ?

Default.png
BT utilising a different Security Product, will come with a raft of anomalies. Try checking your settings.
Norton UI - Settings - Tasks Scheduling.OFH-LJ-0.2x32.gif

0 Ratings