cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Norton Extensions in Google Chrome

Go to solution

I have successfully switched from McAfee to Norton as suggested by BT.  However, Google Chrome continues to show as Not Set Up for Internet Security, despite me installing all the suggested extensions. Microsoft Edge shows as Protected. I cannot find anything about this on the Norton help. Any suggestions?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Norton Extensions in Google Chrome

Go to solution

Have you checked in the Chrome settings that the relevant extension are switched on?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Chrome can be a bit of a muddle. I only use Edge. Which OS are you using? Windows 10, or 11.

You can try searching Norton Safe Search URL, and it may ask you to install (it’s free). Then you may be able to use it.....it’s good as each search result is flagged for safety.

Windows 11, want to use Bing as the default search engine.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Yes the Norton extensions are installed and turned on. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Windows 10, I am nervous of updating to 11 although MS keep asking me to. 

I also use Edge but for some things I find Chrome more user friendly, I am not sure I want to keep using it if I am not fully protected. 

I notice in Edge I have three extensions: Norton Home Page, Norton Safe Search Enhanced, Norton Safe Web.

In Chrome I am missing Norton Safe Web but I asked for all to be installed and I cannot find this extesnsion when I search Chrome for it. So I cannot now add it, when I click the Set Up button in Norton that option does not appear.

I have also had a very starnge email from BT telling me I have now signed up to watch Norton. As if this is a TV channel, the good bit is it says there is no charge. All very odd.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

It’s your choice as to whether to upgrade to Windows 11. Ask on MS Communities......But make sure that you create a full system backup before upgrade!

You don’t need Norton Homepage. .....I use the usual BBC as homepage, as a straight access to News.

You don’t need Norton Safe Web....think this is an option....All you need is Norton Safe Search to monitor you search listings. 

I use the paid for version of Norton, so there are probably many other options. But I don’t use the option to save passwords, which may be what they are asking you to use in Safe Web???

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

I have experimented a bit more with the Norton features. I do not have Norton Password Manager installed in either Edge or Chrome, I do not want to use this package,  yet Edge tells me I am secure.

If I disable Norton Safe Web in Edge then Norton then tells me I am not fully protected, this reverts to protected if I re-enable Safe Web.

Chrome does not give me the ability to add the Safe Web extension on install of Norton and it cannot be downloaded from the Chrome Store. I believe this omission is why Norton is telling me I am not protected.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

I checked again today and the Norton Safe Web extension is now available and once installed I am now showing as protected by Norton on Google Chrome.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Glad you fixed the problem.

Easy when you know how 😃..

Yes!!! go to My Norton, Internet Security, Select your browser. Then enable extensions.

As stated I don't use Chrome, but Norton has found a way for settings in Chrome
A Password Manager is also available in Edge, if you are interested.  

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Re: Norton Extensions in Google Chrome/Edge

Go to solution

I keep getting pop ups from Norton advising me that I need to install and enable their extensions in Edge to be protected. When I open Edge and look at the extensions, I find they are all installed and turned on. (Apart from the Password Manager which I do not want to use.) Why am I getting that pop up?

Is there a reason why BT switched from McAfee to Norton? I had years of straightforward protection from McAfee without all this hassle.