cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Norton Security

Go to solution

I am really unhappy about the letter I got from BT saying I must update to Norton Security by end March.  A few months ago I bought a new computer and as part of the purchase bought a 3 year McAfee LifeSafe package for security (had forgotten at the time I had McAfee via BT which I am sure I never had to download myself).   If I download Norton almost certainly I will get clashing problems and so I would prefer not to have that.   

I am not technical at all and am finding this difficult and worrying.   Can anyone tell me what the implications would be of ignoring the BT request to download Norton.  What would happen to my email?  

Thanks.  

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Norton Security

Go to solution

Hi, welcome to the forums.

BT used to use McAfee - but now use Norton.

To me it suggests that they are effectively scaring people into changing to Norton.

https://www.bt.com/help/security/anti-virus-software/what-is-bt-virus-protect-and-how-do-i-get-it-

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Hi @LBM

Welcome to the BT Community and thank you for your post!  I have moved your thread discussion to the "Broadband Extras & Apps from BT" board where it is more appropriate.

I am sorry that you are unhappy with the letter you received about BT Virus Protect changing to Norton.  We are changing from McAfee to Norton for BT Virus Protect on 31st March 2022.  We are letting customers know in advance prior to this date.

I completely understand that when you purchased your computer it had a security package already installed.  Don't worry - there are no implications for not using BT Virus Protect powered by Norton and nothing would change with your BT email.  You don't have to use it.  You can keep using your current security software.  BT Virus Protect is an inclusive extra with your broadband service and the option for you to change is always available for you down the line should you wish to.

At this minute in time you can keep everything as it is 😊

I am sorry if the wording of the letter made you feel like you had to change.

Have a great weekend.

Thanks,

Robbie

Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Thank you so much, that is very comforting.  The letter from BT was dogmatic to say the least and made it sound compulsory.  BT should consider how they word things!

0 Ratings