cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Norton Update problems

Go to solution

I have updated to Norton security and since then my desktop PC seems to be really slow in both starting up and when on email takes ages to load messages and if I delete one, again takes ages.

Have checked my speeds with speed  checker and all OK,

any suggestions

Thanks

Ray

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Norton Update problems

Go to solution

Hi @raymond1234 and thanks for posting.

Sorry you're PC appears to be slow after the Norton update. Do you have any other programmes running the background? Did you fully remove the McAfee (if y9ou had it) before the new install?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

When you installed Norton you will have installed all the add ons that Norton include in their product and they will have been activated as the default setting.

This uses a lot of your PC's resources. If you have a relatively powerful PC you might not notice but if you have a less powerful PC it will dramatically slow it down because the resources are being used by Norton and there is less for the other programs on your PC. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

If it's modern enough to move to  11 from 10 it's fast enough for Norton.  The computer is not the problem.  I'm going round in circles and I've got to keep doing this until Feb 2023 when I can then do a runner.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

@S4Brains Thanks for posting, I'm sorry to see you're having problems changing your BT Virus protect over to Norton. To do this you need to be logged into the primary BT ID associated to your BT account. 

You can check the account holder status of your BT ID and claim it if necessary.

Please follow the steps below:

1. Log in to My BT >
  2. Click on Settings and Your account
  3. Scroll down and you'll see if you're an Account holder or Account manager
  4. Click on the I should be the Account holder link and follow the steps

I hope that helps?

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

that's just my problem, I can't download Norton, it won't wear it.  Still going round in circles but feel I'm making some headway, only time will tell.  ROMFT

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution
Had a look and found McAfee live safe still on my system, deleated and seems better
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Got to be totally honest and say I've wondered whether to do that but been round in so many circles a bit wary of trying it.  I'll have a tot of rum and try and work up the courage to do it.  I've copied all my passwords to paper so might be ok.  Relied so much on McAfee and to have it taken away is a bit OTT at the mo.  I was happy with Norton when I first had BT but it was them who decided to take that away and now it's back.  Must be a few bob involved somewhere.  Grrrrr!

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

first reference I've seen to removing McAfee before installing Norton.  The install instructions just came up on my home page and I followed what they said to no avail, fact.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Tells me I'm the account holder but when I try to do things it tells me it can't because I'm not.  I've been around this setup for so long and have so many different passwords etc that McAfee was a gift from heaven but Norton has fouled everything up that's for sure.  Can't rid myself of McAfee or I'll be totally goosed, can't fathom Norton out to save my life, it's not intuitive setup that's for sure.  I'm almost an octogenarian and been using these things for so long a bit set in my ways but that's exactly what BT etc should be catering for in my opinion, not everybody has a degree in technology.  I'll keep banging away but will not ditch McAfee until I'm sure I've got it sorted that's for sure.  The Tech guy at BT over the phone said he'd sorted it, after me hanging over control of my computer to him but no chance.

0 Ratings