cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Norton Virus Protection

Does anyone know what the option for remote management does in the Norton Security app actually does? I switched it on briefly and thought it may show some additional features in the My Norton control panel (e.g., for running scans remotely), but it didn't.

Screenshot - 16_02_2022 , 21_14_53.png

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Norton Virus Protection

@SixtiesFan    It is explained here.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Thanks for that. However, even if I enable remote management, when I go to my Norton dashboard, there are no options listed for any of my devices, except to rename them. Also, my two laptops are shown as being offline, but they aren't (I'm using one of them to write this reply). 

Screenshot - 17_02_2022 , 09_31_09.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

@SixtiesFan  That's all I see as well---the ability to rename them.  I've only been experimenting with this Norton on my old Windows 10 Desktop and Laptop, A97LE and X551CA respectively.  I have only installed the Security and none of the Internet options. I also use uBlock Origin browser extension which is probably interfering as well because I get varying results as regards them being online. Need to investigate that later when I have more time. Currently if I go to the X551CA it says it is Offline and the A97LE is Online. From the A97LE I see this ---but it is not consistent

From A97LEFrom A97LE

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

If no-one is able to help on this forum, I wonder if we could send a support request to Norton?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

This is what they have just told me on the Norton chat service:-

"Due to a data sync issue, you may see the incorrect status and information about your devices on the My Norton portal. If the Norton device security on your device displays the security status as 'Protected', then you may ignore these alerts.

I would request you to please login to your account and delete the incorrect device from manage license and then reinstall the product on that device."

My follow-up response was:-

"I doubt whether that will resolve the issue, but I may give it a try when I have some free time. Also. shouldn't there be some options for the listed devices. such as being able to initiate a scan or locate a lost item?"

To which I received the following:-

"No problem, you can check anytime whenever you are free to do so. Also if you are able to see "Your device is protected" in Norton app on your device then you do not have to worry as you are protected."
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

I'm also seeing a message on the Norton Dashboard that my computer's aren't connected to the internet, so I am unable to read my reports. So at the moment, apart from downloading installation files, the online portal at Norton is pretty useless. Is anyone else having this problem?

Screenshot - 17_02_2022 , 18_12_38.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

@SixtiesFan  Yes, I am seeing that as well. Says the devices aren't connected to the internet but they obviously are as they both show as being Online and I have just run a Liveupdate and Quickscan on both. Temporarily I have removed the uBlock extension on both PC's.

I still find that the status of the PC's will change from Online to Offline. I agree with you---I won't be deleting the device and reinstalling as recommended by the Norton Help Desk. What I have discovered is that just simply doing a Refresh on the screen restores the true status.

Screenshot 2022-02-18 083802.png

Screenshot 2022-02-18 083904.png

Screenshot 2022-02-18 083942.png

I think basically the app is doing the job as regards security but will have limitations since it is a modified version provided by Norton to BT. So we might not get all the "frills" that would be included in the app as sold by Norton. I'm sure when I previously used MacAfee that it had similar limitations---for instance I think I could only do Full Scans and not Quick ones.  

Need clarification as to whether or not that feature should work.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

I know there's a lot of nervousness about Russia at the moment, but I've decided to put Kaspersky Internet Security back on all my devices except one, as I have plenty of time left on my subscription and from what I was reading yesterday, Kaspersky has gone to a lot of trouble during the last few years to make sure there is no interference from the government of Russia. I want to keep my second laptop Kaspersky-free at the moment though, as something randomly locks me out of my Gigaset base station and I want to eliminate KIS as a possible cause (I don't think it is, but as I don't currently have KIS on my other laptop, this is the ideal opportunity to see if I am right).

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

More strange things happening on the Norton web portal. It still thinks I have two devices with Norton installed on them, whereas I only currently have it on the one laptop. Only the third screenshot reflects the true situation, so even different parts of the web portal don't agree with each other and also, there is no way to remove the device that currently doesn't have Norton on it (Laptop 2) as it doesn't appear on the list of installations, (as shown in the third screenshot).

Screenshot - 19_02_2022 , 20_11_54.jpgScreenshot - 19_02_2022 , 20_16_48.jpgScreenshot - 19_02_2022 , 20_12_23.jpg

0 Ratings