cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 44

Norton disappearing after installation

Go to solution

Recently transferred parents computer from McAfee Virus protect to Norton. Installation is successful, live updates carried out to update protection and product files. All fine. "You are Protected". However, after a restart all traces of Norton are gone. Nothing in system tray, nothing except installation files on desktop, nothing running in task manager, no app when you search or under recently installed apps. Just gone. 

I've uninstalled Norton, repeated installation, all fine again... reboot .... gone again!

Any suggestions? Running Windows 7 but this is in the compatibility list. At a loss what else to try.

Thanks in advance.

43 REPLIES 43
Message 2 of 44

Re: Norton disappearing after installation

Go to solution

Hi, @Crafty1 I'm really sorry the installation is not staying on the PC. We'll need to report that to the BT Virus protect team, I'll send you a private message so you can get in touch with the moderation team.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 44

Go to solution

hello, Im having the same problem.  Install Norton and after and update and restart it disappears!

Any update on this would be apreciated

Thanks 

Brenda

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 44

Go to solution

Hi @beejos I'm sorry to see you're having problems installing Norton, I'm afraid the OP never got back to us so I can't share the fix.

I'll send you a private message in a moment so you can get in touch with the moderation team and we'll be happy to raise this with the Virus protect team.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 44

Go to solution

You can only install Norton on Windows 7 machines if they are running" Service Pack 1 (SP 1) or later with SHA-2 code signing support"

What is BT Virus Protect and how do I get it? | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 44

Go to solution

I am seeing this in Windows 11.  Any solutions?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 44

Go to solution

Were you previously running McAfee? it could be that it didn't uninstall properly and is preventing you from installing Norton in which case you need to follow the instructions on the McAfee website for downloading and running MCPR.exe 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 44

Go to solution

No.  This is a clean Windows 11 build.

The BT installer grabs 22.21.11.46 from the servers.  I register with my BT credentials.  A little while later, LiveUpdate grabs 22.22.2.10 (and sometimes 22.22.3.9) as updates and stages them for install.  At this point it uninstalls itself.  On one try, it converted itself into the non-BT version and renamed the desktop icon to Norton 360.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 44

Go to solution

One thing I have not tried yet is enabling the 'Apply updates only on reboot' option.  I've removed/installed a fresh attempt and enabled this.  I'll see what happens when LiveUpdate runs.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 44

Go to solution

Alas, this made no difference.  LiveUpdate staged 22.22.2.10 for install but the application was completely removed on restart.  Just as before.

This is so frustrating because 22.21.11.46 seems to work just fine until it tries to update itself.

If I kill LiveUpdate after the definitions but before the product update, it continues to function just fine.

Another observation is that the keyboard sometimes becomes unusable following the reboot where the application is removed.  I have to unplug it and plug it back in and then it works fine.

0 Ratings