cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 44

Re: Norton disappearing after installation

Go to solution

Hi Neil.

We have met on here a few times previously.  I have just posted about the mysterious disappearance of Norton and after posting discovered these other posts about the same thing.

As I am using a brand new PC and a clean install of Windows 11 there can be no bugs from any previous history on this PC.  Thought this may be of interest to anybody on the BT Virus Protect team.  

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 44

Go to solution

Hello 

You are describing exactly what happens on my system. I am using a brand new PC with a clean install of Windows 11 so you would expect it to work properly on that. I think that it does install and works properly until it does an update fairly soon afterwards then self-destructs.

There are several people posting on this Forum about it but it's difficult to find them all as they are scattered about different parts of the Forum - this has always been a problem on here.

Would be interested to hear of any progress you make.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 44

Go to solution

... Similar problem for me ... Windows11 ... we did have BT's McAfee installed and had a lot of issues removing it ... but not that's gone we are experiencing the issues described with Norton self destructing after what feels like a good install. 

Come on BT, what's occurring here??

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 44

Go to solution

I have abandoned Norton altogether and installed BitDefender.  Not prepared to have no antivirus running, although Windows Defender does a good job

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 44

Go to solution

I am also having this problem, running Windows 11, did not have mcafee running before so that's not the problem. As an earlier poster said it looks like when liveupdate runs it trys to install Norton 360 rather than BT Virus Protect and just uninstalls it instead. Some help would be good here BT.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 44

Go to solution

Another windows 11 user here with the same issue. days old brand new laptop. Norton keeps disappearing either after turn off/on and after it tries to update. 

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 44

Go to solution

Same issue here.

Brand new Windows 11 PC with all the Windows updates. Installed Norton from the MyBT site and ran a full system scan. After around 30 minutes a pop up appeared which unhelpfully vanished before I could read it and Norton is just gone from the PC. This has happened 3 times.

This happened during a full scan so it isn't just restarting the PC that causes it.

The event viewer logs application logs have the following but this is just saying Norton's not there anymore. 

'The description for Event ID 36 from source NortonSecurity cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.'

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 44

Go to solution

I have abandoned trying to install Norton.  There are many reports on this Forum about this matter. They are not all under the same heading so are not very easy to find.   You would like to think that somewhere somebody from BT might have done something about it.  I am not prepared to try and take it up with BT by phone because that just drives you bonkers trying to get somebody to take an interest.  So for peace of mind I have given up until such times as it is sorted out. Don't suppose BT will make any kind of announcement when that happens though.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 44

Go to solution

Hi,

Thanks for that. I'll rely on Windows Defender for now.

As Norton is part of the package you pay for then maybe people demanding a discount on their monthly bill will make BT take notice.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 20 of 44

Go to solution

I also have had problems with Norton in the past.

Everytime I switched on my laptop Norton Internet Security kept showing a message in red that it wasn't secure and needed updating, even though I had only updated it just a few days before. It was annoying as it was too frequent. It never stayed secure (green) for very long at all, so I uninstalled it and I now use McAfee Total Protection. I've never looked back and can thoroughly recommend it. My advice would be to ditch Norton and stick with McAfee if you continue to have problems with it.

0 Ratings