cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 44

Re: Norton disappearing after installation

Go to solution

I get the exact same happening to me on Windows 11, I think it might have something to do with Norton updating all their antivirus to Norton360 and also the liveupdate being on the Traditional update channel.

I was at a loss as to what caused this until I saw this forum thread. 

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 44

Go to solution

Same issue..   Stays for a while but reboot laptop.. It appears in tasks  and desktop icon is there, but then sometime during the session it is completely uninstalled.  Folders and icons all removed.  Quietly. No messages no screens 
I have DELL that was preinstalled Mcafee which I removed.   Windows11 machine.  
Is Windows anti-virus removing it ?   THere's no logs that show it is but WIndows AV seems to be running at all times. 

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 44

Go to solution
did you get a response Crafty1 ?
0 Ratings
Message 24 of 44

Go to solution

I spent over 30 mins with BT Technical Support and he ended up telling me it was being passed to Level 2.  I was supposed to hear back within 2 days but he never gave me a case number so I wasn't going to hold my breath.

I'm sure it won't come as anu surprise to anyone but I've heard nothing in over a week.  I suspect the support guy just weaved me a yarn to get rid of me because none of the solutions his script told him to offer were working.

I've never had to use BT support before and I have to say I'm disappointed. I've not shopped my broadband around for the 19 years we've been at this address because I was always sure that BT were the best and could be relied on.  This experience has been an eye opener.  I'll definitely be getting comparison quotes when the contract expires.  Premium pricing cannot be justified if the support is shoddy.

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 44

Go to solution

Hi there.

Read all the current posts.
If you're dissatisfied with the current responses. Are you complaining in the 'time honoured way', and receiving acceptable replies ?
https://www.bt.com/bt-plc/assets/documents/about-bt/policy-and-regulation/our-governance-and-strateg...Quizzical 0.png

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 44

Go to solution

To complain to BT you need - 

To have a full day available to be on the phone.

To try to make a note of who you speak to, where they are working from, how to get back to them and what they said.

To be able to understand the English language as it is spoken in all parts of the UK and the Commonwealth.

To be able to reproduce the various screen displays of the errors you have encountered together with times and dates of occurrence and any witnesses to these events.

To be able to tolerate simple questions such as "Have you tried switching off and back on?" and "Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the programme/app?"  and "Have you updated your device recently?".

To remain calm and understanding when they say they will look into it and ring you back.

To put it down to a life experience when they don't ring you back.

Message 27 of 44

Go to solution

I've issued a formal complaint on the basis of false advertising.   It will be ignored I am sure but ... ya never know. 

Message 28 of 44

Go to solution

@COMPANY-PENSIONER  - Thanks for the suggestion.  Complaint raised on the basis of the complete lack of response from the (alleged) escalation to Level 2.

DrAl_0-1654809884638.png

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 44

Go to solution

SO my laptop has stablaised and verything says Norton is running... BUT....  
Here's what i did. 

1 - Downloaded and ran McAfee removal - even though all mCafee was gone already. 
 2 - rebooted. 
3 - Ran Norton removal -  even though it was not installed. 
4 - Rebooted.    to finish removal 
5 - Rebooted becuase i could 
6 - Installed Norton 
7 - Rebooted 
8 - Ran the norton update  
rebooted..  
and left it alone.   

Now.. .it all appears to be running.  But I cannot open the Norton Menu. 
I can open the app but the menu and screen is clearly not the expecte Norton menu screen and is 100% unresponsive.   Clicking Settings does nothing.  Right click on task bar icon does nothing. 
But opening Mail and Secuirty and it says Norton is protecting etc . 
All strange. 
But its not unistalled itself yet. 

It did appear to disappear a day later.  I had things to do so ignored that it wasn't there.  Desktop icon had gone and nothing had loaded in taskbar tray.  
But a hour or so later -- there it was !  All back in place. 
I have no idea whats going on n background but suspect there's some updates or background items running. 

Seems to be running though ?

N14.png

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 44

Go to solution

@KevSully  - That screenshot doesn't  have the BT logo so it's messed itself up like mine did.  When mine did this, the desktop icon changed to Norton 360 and the control panel loaded but wouldn't do anything.

0 Ratings