Message 31 of 44

Re: Norton disappearing after installation

Go to solution
hello, Im having the same problem.
0 Ratings
Message 32 of 44

Go to solution

So after lodging a complaint, a guy from BT actually called me today. 
And as expected , he said there's nothing they can do , call NORTON and speak to them. 
He confirmed that this was a 3rd party product provided by them ,  but they did not provide support for it and that they could not fix.

As ever ( and not his fault), this is BT missing the point. They are paying Norton to provide a service to their customers. So why BT cannot contact Norton on behalf of its customers, to find out how to fix this remains a mystery to me. 

But that is not an option. 

0 Ratings
Message 33 of 44

Go to solution

Not accepting responsibility is, unfortunately, standard practice for most/all IT service providers. I used to work in IT and none of the companies involved would accept it was their fault without irrefutable proof.

That said BT advertise their broadband products as including online security i.e. Norton so it's their responsibility to sort  it out not the customer's. If you buy a new car and some 3rd party bit of it doesn't work they don't tell you to talk to whoever made it they do it.

0 Ratings
Message 34 of 44

Go to solution
Just had a look at the small print on BT's fibre deals and it has the line 'BT Virus Protect works on compatible PC/MACs' but as most/all new PCs will be Windows 11 that probably wouldn't stand up to scrutiny.
0 Ratings
Message 35 of 44

Go to solution

If they get enough OFFICIAL complaints (through their published complaints process) it may trigger an internal escalation.

I'm waiting to hear back on mine.  If it looks like a dead end and they don't offer some sort of compensation or solution, I may take it to the ombudsman.  It's a lot of effort for a small thing but we are paying a premium to use BT and they are not delivering on the package they are selling.  I doubt the ombudsman will get involved but again, if enough people follow the process it will trigger action once some threshold is passed.

0 Ratings
Message 36 of 44

Go to solution

Just to kick over the hornets nest I raised a complaint with the ASA over the claim to include a security package when it doesn't work.

0 Ratings
Message 37 of 44

Go to solution

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry this thread hasn't had a response.

I can understand your frustration and I'm sorry for those of you that are experiencing issues with Norton disappearing after installation.

I would like to get this investigated. I have contacted a number of you by private message to request detail to help with the investigation.  You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 38 of 44

Go to solution

Update:  Yesterday morning, BT Level 2 support called me to check a few details.  The technician said that he was surprised because this was the first case he had come across and he would have expected it to be more widespread if it was a common issue.  He checked with his colleague who had heard of some cases and then he told me that he was going to take the matter to Norton through the partner channel.

I just had a call from another Level 2 technician and he told me that Norton are now aware of the issue and that it was caused by a rogue update version that they have now pulled from the servers.  I just reinstalled and so far, so good...

Version 22.21.11.46 pulled down by the BT installer.
Activated by logging in with BT credentials.
Ran Live Update and it installed 22.22.2.10 (as before), requesting a reboot.
Rebooted and it was still installed.
Ran Live Update and it installed 22.22.4.11 (skipping 22.22.3.9), requesting a reboot.
Rebooted and it was still installed.
Ran Live Update and there was one update but this did not change the version. No reboot requested.
Rebooted anyway and it was still installed.
Ran Live Update and there was nothing to install.
Rebooted for good measure and it was still there!

DrAl_0-1655138450773.png

DrAl_1-1655138997516.png

Message 39 of 44

Go to solution

I've also just reinstalled Norton from the MyBT page and as well as the normal updates there was an additional patch available to download which I did. I had no prompts to restart the PC during this.

I'm currently running a full system scan so hopefully this will complete without issues.

0 Ratings
Message 40 of 44

Go to solution

I get the same, no norton 360 downloading and it still stays as Norton Security. I think it has been fixed now.

0 Ratings