cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

Opt out BT Wifi - no longer BT customer

Go to solution

So this isn't the usual how do I turn this off question. The problem I have is that I'm no longer a BT customer (though am continuing to use my Hub 6 as I believe it is better than Plusnet's router).

I can still login to MyBT (account still active) but, of course, I have no packages so cannot get to My Extras to opt out.

Several weeks ago, I reset the router and BT Wifi was Inactive, but at some point over the last few weeks it's become Active again.

With everyone working from home at the moment, my wifi is becoming saturated and I want to stop neighbours attempting to connect to my router.

Any ideas how I can turn this off?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Opt out BT Wifi - no longer BT customer

Go to solution

Stop using BT equipment is the best solution.

As regards your neighbours using the connection, unless they don't have their own connection why would they be using yours. Even if they were using BTWifi there is only a very small of the bandwidth allocated to BTWifi and it would not "saturate" your wifi if other were using it and if you need the bandwidth you will get it before anybody on BTWifi would allocated it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

I imagine you need to call BT up and request they close down your old account fully, this will then i would think stop your BT Hubs BTWiFi becoming active overnight, as i assume you are showing as an active BTWiFi member and its somehow stuck in the system so keeps reactivating after you reset the router, which it will continue to do after resets.

And out of interest can you still log on and use BT-WiFi hotspots with your old BT ID details?  If you can isnt that a plus for when you are out and about?

Do BT still remain the routers owners throughout the contract and ask for it back at the end?  I know they never really pursued the return of the router but read somewhere that this is changing?  Anyway a word of warning, BT may just ask for the router back!

Easy solution, just use the Plusnet router.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

For information. many plusnet customers use the BT Smart Hub in lieu of the Hub  plusnet supply (Which is the old BT Home Hub 5 rebranded)

Resetting the BT Smart Hub both by using the pin at the rear and through hub settings used to reset the BT hub to not active for plusnet customers, however apparently a software update recently has effected some customers of plus net getting the  BT wifi tab showing Active. However they state that apparently  it would appear that the Smart hub is infact not active for  BT wifi.

There is a link here on their  community page.

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1740126#M19...

Hope this helps.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

"however apparently a software update recently has effected some customers of plus net getting the  BT wifi tab showing Active. However they state that apparently  it would appear that the Smart hub is infact not active for  BT wifi."

Well it appears I'm worrying over nothing. I hadn't rescanned the Wifi signals again just assumed they were all back again. So yes, the box says Active but I see no BT Wifi SSIDs for my box.

Thanks

Robin

0 Ratings