cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jc2014uk
Beginner
Message 1 of 44

Opting out of BT Wifi being made impossible by frustrating customer service- sick of BT already!

Go to solution

For the last week I have been trying to opt out of BT Wifi FON, however when I click the link on the BT site and go to 

www.bt.com/btfon‎ my BT internet address I set up for for mail is not recognised and says "invalid username/password" (incidentally the email I set up BT ID was a non-BT email so there is no option to input this).

After twenty five frustrating minutes on the phone to customer services trying to explain that my problem was NOT that I couldn't connect to BT wifi FON (I am readily able to do that with my BT internet address) but that it was that I couldnt log into www.bt.com/btfon to opt out, I finally got put through to someone who said I needed a 'registered' BT email address. She set one up for me and said I would be emailed with a password within 24hrs to my non-BT email (ie the BT ID email address I had set up). Incidentally I was advised that they could not opt me out of BT wifi at their end and that I would need to do this myself through the www.bt.com/btfon site.

Predictably this email never arrived and so I called again and after another half hour of trying to explain the same thing to a different adviser who had no idea about the email I had set up by the previous advisor, this advisor uttered the dreaded words "so you can't connect to BT wifi?". Aaaaaargh! I CAN CONNECT TO BT WIFI, I JUST NEED TO BE ABLE TO LOG INTO www.bt.com/btfon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Ended up putting phone done in sheer frustration (how many more times can I explain that I CAN CONNECT TO WIFI, THATS NOT THE PROBLEM!!!) and submitting a complaint. I just hope it's dealt with by someone who actually finally knows what they are doing!

As a new customer I am totally fed up with BT already. I am trying to solve what should be a simple problem and have been left frustrated and inconvenienced by the appalling customer service. The telephone advisors seemed to have no knowledge of the trail of events in my case (don't they have an electronic log of these somewhere they can look at to see what earlier advisors have done?) and just seemed to select their response from a selection of pre-defined phrases rather than actually understanding and responding to the problem.

Came to BT from TalkTalk expecting an improvement in service, not more of the same.

And finally, why on earth aren't customers able to disable Wifi with FON through the homehub admin settings? Absolutely frustrating.

Rant over (for now). 

0 Ratings
43 REPLIES 43
Message 2 of 44

Re: Opting out of BT Wifi being made impossible by frustrating customer service- sick of BT already!

Go to solution

When you started your service, you should have received an email like this:

Capture.JPG

The address in that email is the one you use to log in with to change the BT Wifi settings.

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 44

Re: Opting out of BT Wifi being made impossible by frustrating customer service- sick of BT already!

Go to solution

why do you want to sdisable it?

enabling means you have free access to BT Wifi around the county when out and about

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 44

Go to solution

If you contact Live Chat and ask them to provide you with your primary email address and password they should be able to do that for you. They may not give it to you over the Internet but they should post it out to you or email it to your contact email address that they have. Stay on line untill you have confirmed that you have it.

Once you have that check what your status is with BTWifi on the link and if need be Opt in to activate it then Opt out.

Link for Live Chat

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact/c/2902/?s_intcid=con_intban_sanda_contact_us_chat_from_forums

Link how to Opt out BTWifi

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12958/~/how-do-i-opt-out-of-bt-wi-fi%3F

Link to opt in

https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/index.do?s_cid=con_FURL_btfon

Link to check status and opt out

https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/status.do;jsessionid=zzDBTJwJQfg2b9CF1QTs2qwXGqRlltQbQhWvZtndFcG9HbXk...

Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 44

Go to solution

@walkerx wrote:

why do you want to sdisable it?

enabling means you have free access to BT Wifi around the county when out and about

That's assuming that you can ever find a hotspot within range to connect to.

Some people just don't like the prospect of other people taking up some of their internet bandwidth, and have no use for BT Wifi.  Plus, there's no way to completely disable the Wifi on a Home Hub unless you're opted out, and some people just don't want Wifi at all.

Personally, I was a customer before it was introduced, so I was opted out by default.  I've never bothered opting in.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 44

Go to solution

Ectophile wrote:

That's assuming that you can ever find a hotspot within range to connect to.

That's what I thought, and it was borne out by experience when I first took BT Broadband some years ago. Things seem to have changed though. Even though I rarely need broadband on the move I've been able to make use of BT Wi-Fi by chance a few times more recently.

I might just have been lucky but wouldn't have been if I was opted out.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
jc2014uk
Beginner
Message 7 of 44

Go to solution

Thanks to all for the replies, appreciated.

This continues to be a complete pain. 

Following my complaint email I get a call from another advisor who tells me I should get an email with a password for my registered BT email address (the one they set up for me) by today.

So another two days has elapsed and the email hasn't arrived, so I get a callback from another advisor who (yes you guessed it) confuses the issue as being that I am having problems logging into Wifi hotpsots (how many times do I have to explain this isn't the problem). However finally we get to a point where they call me back and give me a password to use with the email they set up and..................

It doesn't work (somewhat predicatable I must say).

I don't know if I can face any more protracted conversations with call centres, I must have spent almost 2 hours already on the phone.

0 Ratings
jc2014uk
Beginner
Message 8 of 44

Go to solution

In response to KingStephen above-

Thanks but my broadband is ready email didnt contain any bt internet address. I created one to use for BT mail once my package was up and running but BT had not trace of it when I first contacted them. I cannot log into the www.bt.com/btfon webpage with it, just says invalid username/password (and yes I am inputting my password correctly). 

Cheers anyway

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 44

Go to solution

Hi jc2014uk,

Thanks for posting. I can look into this for you. Drop me an email with the details. You'll find the "contact us" form in the about me section of my profile. Once I have the details we'll take it from there.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
jc2014uk
Beginner
Message 10 of 44

Go to solution

Many thanks to the moderator who has offered to resolve this, much appreciated but the matter is now resolved.

However to update- after another frstrating call from customer services that offered no solution (just the same repetitive misunderstanding of my problem which I won't go over again as I've ranted about this in previous posts!) I stumbled upon a seperate button in the My BT pages that said to press to opt out of wifi.

I expected it to just take me to the link that I have been unable to log into (for the reasons given in my previous posts) but it didn't, and gave me an immediate message saying that I would be opted out of Bt Wifi within 24hrs. Must admit I didnt expect it to work but it did. I subsequently ignored my callback messages from BT customer services as I just couldnt deal with the hassle, having already wasted about 3 hours on the phone trying to sort this out. Not one single advisor had mentioned that I could use this button instead of the BT wifi opt out opt page I had been trying to access.

In conclusion, if you are trying to opt out of BT Wifi and cant log into the page that the BT site links you to (due to not having a registered BT email address), dont waste your time trying to explain it to BT customer services unless you want to be repeatedly told that your problem is logging into a BT hotspot when it isn't and that you will be given a registered email (that will never work- despite having one set up and being given a password by an adviser over the phone this was still rejected by the bt wifi opt out page). Instead, have a dig around on your My BT and look for the opt out button. 

Once again, thankyou to the moderator DavidM that offered to help but I am going to leave it here as the outcome I wanted has been achieved ie I have finally been able to opt out. No thanks to BT for the utterly useless and inconsistent advice provided by their offshore call centres.