cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dippu
Aspiring Expert
Message 21 of 44

Re: Opting out of BT Wifi being made impossible by frustrating customer service- sick of BT already!

Go to solution
I'm not keen with people I don't know using my hub. I don't use other peoples hubs when I'm out and about. No need, got sufficient data allowance and its faster.
0 Ratings
MartinSW
Aspiring Expert
Message 22 of 44

Re: Opting out of BT Wifi being made impossible by frustrating customer service- sick of BT already!

Go to solution

@Dippu wrote:
I'm not keen with people I don't know using my hub. I don't use other peoples hubs when I'm out and about. No need, got sufficient data allowance and its faster.

I also concern but one day happened to meet someone who works for BT WiFi who told me the system is completely secure, the fact that users have to login with their BT email address means BT know that it's them using the connection, not you and that the system is fully isolated from your own web sessions and filtered for smut etc using the same filters BT use for the WiFi hotspots they sell to pubs, cafes etc.

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 44

Go to solution

I had the same 2.5 hour ordeal with BT support.  The support agent was utterly clueless.  She claimed that since I had not 'opted in' the BT Wifi was not active on my connection. This conflicts with the BT website that says it is an automatic 'Opt in' since 2009.  My wifi survey clearly showed the SSIDs 'BTWifi-X' and 'BTWifi-with-FON' being broadcast from my Home Hub.

She spent 2.5 hours getting nowhere, this included remote control of my laptop.  In the end I solved it myself.  The support agents have poor training and this is BT's fault, and not that of the agent.

1. Log into 'My BT'

2. Locate 'BT Wifi' and click 'Manage BY Wifi'

3. Click the 'Set up now' button and follow the wizard

3. It will confirm you are set up

4. Now 'Opt out'

5. It will confirm the 'Opt out' will take up to 24 hours.

My 'Opt out' was completed in 5 hours.  The wifi survey now shows that both rogue SSIDs have stopped broadcasting.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 44

Go to solution
wgtech
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 44

Go to solution

I had this same issue. A moderator offered to fix it, I gave them just enough of my details that if the page was officially BT (since the SSL was not specifically showing me it was a BT link) then they would have access to our details to contact me. I got a call today and 51 mins later they cleared my problem and I can now get into the WiFi settings to opt in and out. Then she scheduled a callback again to get someone more technical to answer my technical questions. Maybe an hour later I got a call. The guy put me on hold a couple of times while he asked people certain things and I got everything fixed up and questions answered.

Key points supplemental to the point of this thread:

When you connect to a seemingly legitimate BT wifi network you come to a login page and that login page should be secure and have an extended validation certificate that specifically says british telecom. Most browsers show this as a green bar or some part that is green. If you see that then go ahead and login. If you do not see that close it out and disconnect ASAP because it is almost certainly a hacker's home network with a fake login page...

Also, I was informed that if someone bad comes in your area and connects using your BT WiFi, if they do something bad they can tell it was done on the public facing side, they know the login details of who did the bad thing and their MAC address. I was told if there were any legal issues with someone doing something really bad on your connection that it would be handled invisibly behind the scenes between the authorities and BT since they would have all the data about how what ever was done was done and that it was not you. They said the authorities wouldn't even need to bother you because there's nothing else you could tell them because the hacker/whoever could have been anywhere within range and you would never know it.

Plus people can only use a very small portion of your bandwidth, you always come first.

So it seems like a relatively safe and secure system given that if bad things happen BT know it wasn't you and will deal with it all on their end. So they say... (can a moderator confirm this?). Just remember to check the login page to ensure the SSL connection is a green bar and is from British Telecom or BT whatever.

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 26 of 44

Go to solution

Hi wgtech, 

Thanks for your post. 

You can find more information about sharing your connection with other people here 

Thanks,

OlgaC 

Community ModeratorOlga
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
donecek
Contributor
Message 27 of 44

Go to solution

Yes, I have exactly had that problem too. That clever BT company disabled the MAC filtering service on my router so that anybody outside can use my Internet access at expenses of me so that the only idiot who pay off for the monthly Internet access 47£ is again me-self...

You have to be a detective to find out all the stuff about that...

Yes, life is a fight, isn't it?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 44

Go to solution
no one is using you internet at your expense you always have priority over the connection
0 Ratings
donecek
Contributor
Message 29 of 44

Go to solution

OK. Let's be honest to say this: I would agree to share my Internet connection to anybody if BT company did set up in my house free of charge properly working optic fibre cabel, then it would make sense to do this. But having to pay off  for the slow ADSL copper landline Internet connection 47£ and to have uncontrolled access to my router is nothing but calculation by BT company.I do share my Internet connection to about 12 people already so I dont' have space for anothers...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 44

Go to solution

As has already been explained to you, you did agree to share your BTWifi with others when you signed up to BT. It is in the Terms and Conditions that you agreed to. When you were about to take up the BT broadband service you had two options at that stage a) don't sign up to BT or b) once signed up, opt out of BTWifi.

Now that you have agreed by signing up to BT you still have option b available to you. Opt out of BTWifi.

See link for Terms & Conditions.

http://www.bt.com/static/wa/wifi/pages/info.html

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/terms/?s_cid=con_FURL_legalstuff

0 Ratings