cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
donecek
Contributor
Message 31 of 44

Re: Opting out of BT Wifi being made impossible by frustrating customer service- sick of BT already!

Go to solution
Yes, but it's just a theory on paper but in practice you don't have chance to log in as it doesn't work at all.Intentionally,it has been the right word for this...
0 Ratings
donecek
Contributor
Message 32 of 44

Re: Opting out of BT Wifi being made impossible by frustrating customer service- sick of BT already!

Go to solution
Perfect direction how to do this, so much thanks for that. I'm waiting just now when the process will be done...
0 Ratings
Message 33 of 44

Go to solution

I too have been having a frustrating time trying to opt out.  Basically, this service is causing channel interference on my network - hitting WiFi speeds and causing devices to 'drop out' (Sonos mainly).

I did find you can go to an Opt Out Page on the myBT site - something that the utterly useless BT employees couldn't find for me.  Opted out now and home network much more stable 🙂

The thing is, the BT WiFi thing was **bleep** anyhow - whenever you do find a hotspot it's soooo slow...

0 Ratings
papalima
Message 34 of 44

Go to solution

I am really fed up with BT customer services.  I have been trying to get wifi switched off from my home hub, and it seems impossible to do so.  I went online to the hub manager and switched off 2.4ghz and 5 ghz and wps.  my computer now didn't register my home hub, but found a wifi hotspot very near by.  Guess what?  the hotspot was my own hub.  After several frustrating calls to BT I was informed I needed to opt out of BT fon.  I did this and under the check my status button it informed me tat I had opted out of fon anf that I should leave my hub switched on for 24 hours in order for the signal to be disabled.  That was a few weeks ago, and still my home hub is emitting a wifi signal - I have a meter that measures electromagnetic frequencies, and the signal now is still as strong as before.  I have written two notes of complaint, and just today was told "we've done as much we can" and that I should contact the BT customer options team.  I started that call over an hour ago, it was answered after 40 minutes by someone who said "thats a good question" put me on hold with some annoying repetitive music then went back to the ringtone with a voice telling me they are very busy at the moment.  BT call themselves a telecommunications company but communicating with them is near impossible.  Please can somebody help.  I will not be renuing my contract with BT when this one runs out, and am almost at the point of pulling out now.

0 Ratings
donecek
Contributor
Message 35 of 44

Go to solution

Think twice before do something on your router...

Why did you switch off the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz as it's very good for you...

Opt out from the BT Wife  hotspots  it's OK and well done and you can see your switching off on the free BT's hotspots in your router's settings..... so where is your problem?

And you definitely don't need to switch off your router for 24 hours....your problem is that you don't know how all the things are working and then you complain. 

0 Ratings
Alistair7f
Contributor
Message 36 of 44

Go to solution

Thanks for this, worked perfectly.  It is pretty well hidden by BT isn't it.

0 Ratings
donecek
Contributor
Message 37 of 44

Go to solution
i would strongly recommend that you will do check anytime if an intruders don't appear on your router because just a showing that you have been opted-out of the BT Wifi doesn't mean anything unless you will have got a strange devices on your router.... I'm speaking by my own experience...so if you will find out a permanent strangers on your router then let me know and I will tell you more what I had to do...
0 Ratings
Gonzo1
Message 38 of 44

Go to solution
Oh, and you believe that? theycan't solve a simple problem like opting out. You think they know who is pirating bandwidth?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 39 of 44

Go to solution

If you are concerned about btwifi then use the previously posted link and opt out. You won't get any further benefit of btwifi when you are out and about but if you never use then opting out will not be a problem

anyone using your btwifi connection cannot access your personal home network

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Gonzo1
Message 40 of 44

Go to solution

I don't share your confidence, especially in BT's  known iffy security.  Accessing your router woiuld seem to be a pretty good step in the right direction for an accomplished hacker.  If a kid can hack NASA and the FBI what chance BT?  Anyway, my problem is opting out as I have, like many, many others found it impossible.  I believe BT are wrong to to include people without their knowledge or consent.  I only found out about this today after two years with BT.

0 Ratings