cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NZ302506
Message 1 of 5

Parental Control issue

Hi, I have spoken to BT customer services a number of times but cant resolve this issue. Prior to setting up parental controls there were no issues with my home computer. Since I installed I cant log into my banking website.  The following message comes up:

You're seeing this page because BT Parental Controls is active and you are attempting to connect to a DNS server outside of our network. You may have selected a different server in your network settings or installed an application that uses an alternative service.

I have then followed the link by BT to check DNS settings and they are as they suggested. ie i did the following:

Checking your DNS settings in Windows 7

1. Click on Start, select Control Panel then double click on Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center. (Note - if Control Panel is set to Classic View, you can select Network and Sharing Center directly)
  2. Select Change adapter settings
  3. Right click on the network connection in use and select Properties
  4. Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and select Properties
  5. Ensure that “Obtain an IP address automatically” is selected
  6. Ensure that "Obtain DNS server address automatically" is selected

I have rang BT several times but keep getting passed from person to person. They have tried turning on and off, deleting parental controls, resetting hub etc.

I have added this website to my allowed sites so it should allow this website??? This part I cant understand. Even if the filters are blocking it should be allowed as it is in my allowed website list?

I dont know what to do. Sorry for posting extra info as above as I am not a tech person so thought if you know exactly what I have done it would help to make things clearer.

Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Parental Control issue

If you have Trustee Rapport software installed, this page will help.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47653/~/i-cant-access-a-number-of-websites-that-ive-p...

The banks often ask you to install this software.

0 Ratings
NZ302506
Message 3 of 5

Keith, Ive tried this but doesnt help.

Ive spoken to trustee rapport people. They advised to turn it off but still blocked.

I dont understand why it allows me to go another banking website but not this partiucular one

secondly i dont understand why it doesnt allow me even if its on my allowed list

Thirdly why its blocked even when i turn off parental controls.

final problem why i cant speak to anyone from BT controls team. I speak to people who do the normal turn on/ off retstart etc then say we need to refer u to parental control team but u cant speak to them direct as they r offline. This has been going on for months now and i cant get it resolved

Sorry for the moan.......... Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Have you tried uninstalling the Parental Conrols to see if it helps? That is not the same as turning them off, which still blocks other DNS servers.

Have you tried using a different web browser, as I believe Chrome has some issues with Parental Controls becaus of the was it interacts with Google public DNS.

On your current web browser, have you tried deleting any temporary Internet files (empty cache), as a stored corrupted entry can cause issues.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
pnefirst
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Did you ever solve this?  I use Rapport, switched on BT Protect, started getting messages.  Switched of BT Protect, still got messages.

Two things :-

1) BT Protect is obviously not switching off fully

2) Part of the problem is the error only shows for 'Added on Sites'  not those which are preinstalled in Rapport.

My case is still with BT.  I have escalated it and am WAITING!

Can you add anything?

0 Ratings