Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fadiii
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Parental Control not working on all devices

Go to solution

Hello,

My parental control settings are turned on. Some devices can still access explicit content, which should be blocked. On my android phone, it is working and explicit content is blocked. It is not working on my lan-connected windows computer. I have tried the basic things like restarting and trying different settings.

I had a very unproductive call with the BT customer support line who told me to "look into your device settings". They kept telling me to look into my device and search for the parental control there which makes no sense at all.

Hope somebody can help as the customer support doesn't seem to comprehend how parental control works.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Parental Control not working on all devices

Go to solution

Hi @Fadiii,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting. I'm sorry the Parental Controls aren't working correctly.

It sounds like it could be an issue with the DNS settings on the Windows Computer. If you take a look at check your DNS settings make sure Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically are selected.

Please give that a go and let me know if that's resolved the issue?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Fadiii
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

This did solve it.

It concerns me that you can simply bypass the content filter by using a different DNS service. I guess there will always be ways around it.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @Fadiii

Thank you for posting back and for letting us know that has worked.

The BT Parental Controls work as long as you use BT DNS. They are really only one tool to help keep your family safe online. There is a lot of helpful information on internetmatters.org that you might find useful.

I hope that helps.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

@Fadiii wrote:

This did solve it.

It concerns me that you can simply bypass the content filter by using a different DNS service. I guess there will always be ways around it.

Thank you.

@Fadiii 

If BT Web Protect is also enabled, then that stops any attempt to use other DNS servers apart from the BT ones.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/54056/~/learn-about-bt-web-protect

That will stop users bypassing Parental Controls.

0 Ratings