cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Andy_Info
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Parental Controls - Network level or client?

Can anyone advise me if the BT parental controls are client, network or both?

Having switched to BT, my last provider offered network level controls that meant that any device was filtered (hence my kids couldn't get to anything inappropriate via a smartphone or tablet on which the McAfee products don't install).

I have spent a torturous series of chats and calls through several call centre locations but have got no further.

The very nice (but frankly hopeless) people that I have spoken to just want me to install a Yahoo browser or the client for each of my PC's but clearly this won't help on an iPhone.

My online account page says "Parental Controls is being activated on your account and will be available in the next 24 hours. Please log in again later to manage your account." however this has remained in place for weeks.

Sorting out what should be minor issues is becoming tedious. Not so much 'right first time' as 'wrong every time'. [sigh]

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
StripeyMiata
Contributor
Message 2 of 15

Re: Parental Controls - Network level or client?

Used to be client until a few weeks ago, now Network as far as I know. Try a Factory reset of your HomeHub, I did it for mine to clear down all the old devices I had on it's DHCP but it had the unexpected effected of asking me to turn on the network filters.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

BT Parental control is the Network one. Log onto your MyBT and scroll down to see "My Extras" There should be an option to set up the parental controls there. If you click on it and follow the guide. This should block what you want at the Network level which will stop anything on tablet's, smart phones etc while being used on yout BTHomehub network..

0 Ratings
Andy_Info
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Thanks for the replies.

As you quite rightly point out I should be able to "Log onto your MyBT and scroll down to see "My Extras" There should be an option to set up the parental controls there."

Unfortunately, under My Extras, I see...

MyExtrasBT.png

...but the message never changes. It has been weeks now and I'm fairly sure that's longer than 24hrs.

Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

The moderators have been informed of your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this post.

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 6 of 15

Hi Andy_Info,

If you fill out the contact us form located in the about me section of my profile we can take a look at this for you.
Cheers,
Chris
BT mod Team.
If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

0 Ratings
barnpiece
Expert
Message 7 of 15

You are lucky if you have anything under My Extras. Everything under there disappeared for me about a week ago!

The broadband useage monitor (which said I was one of a few users for whom it was not working for the past six months or so) then worked for one day but is back to saying I cannot see my useage.

And the details buttons for Phone, Broadband and TV do not work.

In fact, MyBT has become rather ridiculous!

Richard

0 Ratings
Andy_Info
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Just a quick update - no change. Still no parental controls.

They are still being enabled and will be available in 24hrs...

Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
Andy_Info
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Just in case anyone else is suffering, despite my optimism this still isn't resolved.

Parental controls is causing me a world of pain. It seems to randomly block websites such as www.bbc.co.uk.

Months after I started my contract the parental controls manager page still reads "Parental Controls is not live yet. It normally takes up to 2 hours for your filtering options to become active after registration. When the activation is done you won't need to do anything else."

Frustrating beyond words.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Hi Andy_Info

Please send us your details using the contact the mods link in my profile, I can have this raised with the Parental Controls product team on your behalf.

Thanks

Stuart

0 Ratings