Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Wingnuts
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Parental Controls Not Activating after 2 hours

Go to solution

Partental Controls turned on via MyBT.

Email recieved saying 'will be active within 2 hours'.

12 hours later still not working as expected.

Modem TPLink archer VR2600 using 81.139.56.100 and 81.139.57.100 DNS servers.

Any suggestions ??

Cheers

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Parental Controls Not Activating after 2 hours

Go to solution

Do you have BT Protect activated, as that deals with DNS intercepts as well, and I think the two are related, and BT Protect needs to be activated as well?

You could always use the parental controls that are a feature of that router.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/faq-1008.html

0 Ratings
Wingnuts
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

BT Protect now active but still no joy.

I am aware of the TP Links controls but that would involve blocking mutliple sites - I have a curious just turned teenage boy !!! The filters that the BT parental controls offer would be a far simpilar and effective solution.

Cheers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Although I do not have any children living here any more, we do get visits from our grandchildren.

I have used OpenDNS for many years now, and it works very well.

As you are using a 3rd party router, you are free to use another DNS service, but not if you are using BT Protect, or BT Parental controls, as other DNS servers are blocked.

OpenDNS have a basic family shield DNS configuration which blocks most unsuitable sites, but to get full control, and a log of sites visited, you have to create a free account, and have an update agent installed to keep a track of your public IP address.

https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/228006487-FamilyShield-Router-Configuration-Instructio...

0 Ratings
Wingnuts
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Ok - all sorted... it would appear that although the 'front page' of the modem was reporting the BT DNS sites somewhere deep in an advance menu these had been altered to the Google ones 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. 

I've now over wrote these with the correct BT adresses and everything is now working as expected.

Cheers for the OPEN DNS suggestion - I may look into this at some point.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

I am surprised that you did not get a message about not using BTs DNS servers. Anyway, provided it is working, you may as well use the BT controls if they do what you require.

I would make sure that they cannot be overcome by the user changing the DNS servers on their computer, if they have admin access.

You could try that on one of your other computers, by changing the DNS to Google public DNS, and see if you get blocked.

0 Ratings