cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quails
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Parental Controls blocking internet telephony service (Vonage)

Go to solution

This is a problem I've had for about a week, everything has been working fine in the same setup since Parental Controls were introduced. 

Setup:

- BT Infinity, home hub 3.0 B

- Parental controls with "light" setting (is what I want and have had)

- Vonage internet telephony service (they provide a telephone adapter that plugs into the network, i.e. a router with voice capability)

For the last week or so my IP telephony router will not connect to the service unless I disable AND delete parental controls, simply removing all the blocked categories doesn't help, it has to be completely deleted.

I've spoken to Vonage tech support and they supplied the following details about the connectivity required for their service, they stated they have spoken to numerous other BT customers with the exact same problem and the only way they got the problems "solved" was deleting parental controls. However they also sent me a new phone adapter just in case, I received this and still only works when Parental Controls is disabled.

Vonage technical connectivity (details from Vonage tech support:

- Domain names used : httpconfig.vonage.net, voncp.com

- IP addresses 216.115.20.38, 216.115.21.29, 216.115.30.181, 69.59.232.50, 69.59.234.69, 69.59.239.36, 69.59.240.97, 69.59.242.58, 69.59.252.182

-Protocols : SIP: Port 5061 UDP, RTP (Voice) Traffic: Ports 10000-20000 UDP 

Hope that I can get help here ... I tried calling BT and the guy did not seem to understand a word I said, not one word, he ended up sending me an email on how to solve basic email problems, go figure !

I previously used a Netgear router in place of the home-hub, together with OpenDNS, which works a treat but I had to remove to get BT Sport on Youview. Why OH WHY cannot BT allow the setting of DNS service on the home hub, like every other router in the world does, and I wouldn't have to worry about the Parental Controils service (use OpenDNS instead), as things are I'm locked in, it doesn't work and the helpline guys seem to struggle to understand the difference between an email and parental controls.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Parental Controls blocking internet telephony service (Vonage)

Go to solution

You cannot use OpenDNS, or any alternative DNS servers, when Parental Controls are installed, even with "light" settings.

BT Parental controls only allow you to use BTs own DNS servers, otherwise the connection will be blocked. This is to prevent users bypassing parental controls, by using different DNS servers.

0 Ratings
quails
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

I don't want to use Parental Controls *AND* OpenDNS, I simply want a family filtering solution that does not kill my IP telephony service. BT Parental controls kills the IP telephony. OpenDNS would be an alternative but you cannot configure it on a home hub.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
quails
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Bump - spoken to BT a couple of times and verified that the telephony router is using 192.168.1.254 (i.e. the home hub) for DNS, otherwise I've not had any joy in fixing this.

If the service doesn't work guys, and you cannot support it fully, can we at least have the capability to set home hub DNS to a reliable service - i.e. OpenDNS.

0 Ratings
quails
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

OK, so I've got to a resolution on this, so I'll update this thread for others to find.

I used some networking software to monitor the network traffic I had (BT were no help there !), I could clearly see that the Vonage adaptor was using TWO DNS SERVERS, the one it had been told to use by the BT home hub, and a Vonage owned server. When BT parental controls is active (irrespective of what you set as blocked), BT block attempts to circumvent parental controls, and the use of a Vonage DNS server is blocked for this reason. I spoke to Vonage again and then knew all this and just had not told me, they justify it as a "security measure"

So shame on you Vonage - you knew exactly what was wrong, your invalid use of a DNS service that is hard coded into the unit. I expect and hope you lose customers due to this technical ignorance.

So, what was the resolution ? Its not possible to set the home hub to use another DNS based filtering service (such as the excellent OpenDNS), because its the only router on the planet (literally it seems) where the DNS server setting is locked down. Shame on you too BT for crippling your equipment. Therefore I turned of BT parental controls, disabled wifi on the home hub and attached another wifi router to the home hub, set the DNS on that new router to point to OpenDNS and that works. 

Vonage and BT shame shame on you both for not observing "normal networking good practice" and causing your customers issues in the process. Further shame on the BT helpdesk, they really don't understand networks at all and cannot connect you to anyone who does.

0 Ratings