cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Parental Controls

I’ve switched on parental controls (after being horrified at the search results in bing when my son typed in ‘hamster videos’ 😳) and it’s still not restricting access. How can I get it to work?! I can click on any of bing’s suggestions and am not blocked - and it’s not hamster videos!!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Parental Controls

I have BT Parental Controls turned on, but search engine results and images are inappropriate - why aren't these blocked?
BT Parental Controls doesn't inspect content returned from a site, it looks at the URL and the category it has been assigned to. Sites such as Google are defined as 'Search Engines' and are not blocked by BT Parental Controls. As part of the Parental Controls service, we have automatically enabled Google and Bing SafeSearch. However, other search engines may not have this feature to turn on by users.There are options to help with this:

Create a personalised filter level and block the 'Search Engines' category. You could then add one particular search engine to your allowed list
Turn on child safety features that may exist in your devices and for apps like YouTube, use apps that are designed specifically for kids like YouTube for Kids

https://www.bt.com/help/security/parental-controls/i-ve-got-a-problem-with-bt-parental-controls#inap...

Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the reply. Safe search is on, but bing still shows the adult x rated results, so I’ve reported this to them as well.

I can still access adult x rated content when I click on the links - I thought the parent filter on BT would not allow access to these  websites? This is what I think is not working.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

I could be wrong but I think that the web providers has to partake in a voluntary scheme where they declare the content of the site in order for content filtering to work. Not just for BT but for any ISP

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Hi @jmarg, welcome to the forum and sorry you are having this problem with the Parental Controls. I've sent you a Private Message so you can get in touch with the Mod team and we'll be happy to help you with this.

cheers

John

0 Ratings