cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Parental Controls

PArental controls:  I changed a setting yesterday in bt parenatl controls and kids lost access to roblox. i tried to change it back and it didn''t work. So I switched controls off for a while. However I kept waiting for it to come into effect and nothing. ALl access to facebook and all games were completely lost. So I went and put controls back on and re added facebook roblox to allowed sites. Ok roblox and facebook back on but xbox is not connecting to xbox live and games are not downloading. Xbox is connected to internet. I added xbox.com to allowed sites and then I could get onto online xbox pages but still not xbox live access.

So this morning I thought I would suspend all parental controls for an hour using the timer on parental controls. To test if it is the arental controls blocking xbox live.  So during time parental controls supposedly turned off, I lost all access to roblosx and facebook. in ther words turning off oarental controls actually blocked all access.  This must be what happened yesterday. When I thought parental controls were off and it just hadn't kicked in, the setting to put controls off actually put complete parental control on.

We have switched everything off an on several times including the router.

So what is going on?  How do I get xbox live back working?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 3

Re: Parental Controls

A shame no one could help. However here is my solution. To get these sites back working I had to add to allowed sites:

facebook.com

facebook.net

fbcdn.net

live.com

xbox.com

live.xbox.com

microsoft.com

minecraft.net

msn.com

xboxlive.com

But this does not get the xbox console owrking.  To get the actual xbox console working with xbox live I had to change the DNS settings in the console to google DNS settings in the console settings. You can google how to do this. This is actually faster for the console.  But on the PCs I have changed the DNS settings to family shield with openDNS. Beware DNS setting override BT parental controls. There are many DNS companies out there. I am starting with open DNS which is free.

I hope this helps other people.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: Parental Controls

Thanks - same situation yesterday - didn't stop "gaming" but all xbox stopped... I don't want to change the dns of the xbox (because I'll forget) and i can't change the dns of the smart hub.

I think I'll go down the frustrating route of asking BT to confirm how xbox live can be left alone in 'parental controls'. 

0 Ratings