cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Phone connects via bt wi fi at home.

My iPhone and other devices occasionally connect to the BT WiFi with Fon SSID while I am at home, instead of my private SSID. How can I stop this?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Phone connects via bt wi fi at home.

Set the devices to ignore the FON SSID. Also, if any of them have the BT Wi-fi app installed, set it to connect automatically to the hub when in range.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

If I set them to ignore the BT WiFi SSID, will they connect when I want them to?
How do I set to connect to the hub automatically when in range, i can’t find a setting for this in the app?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 9

@Bramshot wrote:
If I set them to ignore the BT WiFi SSID, will they connect when I want them to? Yes, but  the SSID will  automatically be remembered each time so you may have to repeat the procedure.

How do I set to connect to the hub automatically when in range, i can’t find a setting for this in the app?  Open the menu (3 vertical dots top right) > Settings > Make sure "Automatically  connect me ..." is checked.
(All that's on Android but I assume it's similar for an iPhone.)

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

No, not the same. I can get settings in a different way via3 dots for ‘more’ at bottom right. In settings there is no automatic connection option, only play a sound, vibrate, or notify when connected to a BT WiFi hotspot, or update login details, update connection profile, and about the app. I suspect what I need is somewhere in the connection profile, but can find no way to update it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 9

Sorry, Apple is not part of my world but hopefully someone here with appropriate knowledge will step in. Or you could try 0800 00223322, the dedicated phone number for BT Wi-fi.

--
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Thanks pottyperson.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 9

@Bramshotwrote:

My iPhone and other devices occasionally connect to the BT WiFi with Fon SSID while I am at home, instead of my private SSID. How can I stop this?

Hi.

Are all the devices Apple products?

If not done so already, have a look at the hub admin section, and the SSID names. There will be a 2.4 & 5 GHz options, both set to the same SSID. I've suggested for years that these should be split when the hub is sent out, since this has caused issues for iPhone/iPad for ages.

The simplest thing to do is add "-5" to the end of the 5GHz SSID, that way all the connected devices shouldn't need setting up again (though they might need to reconnect to wireless).

2.4GHz has a far better reach than 5GHz - hence may solve your issue if it's to do with range.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

I have already turned off the 5 Gig SSID.  SMART is also turned off.

I should add that it does not do it all the time, and the SSID that is joined is the BT with Fon one, not the Wi-fi X.  It has not done it since I told it to forget the wi fi with Fon SSID. It still joins the Wi Fi X when out and about in a BT hotspot, but this does not actually work and give any connectivity, unless maybe it is very slow and I did not have enough patience!

0 Ratings