Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heroman1959
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Please Help Me Disable BT FON

Hi

I have just realised that my Hub 4 is broadcasting BT-FON and WiFi-x services (I know due to the BSSID.) Anyway, BT-FON is not something I want, and I would like to disable it asap.

I went to the recommended page to disable FON:

https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/index.do?s_cid=con_FURL_btfon

There is no SSL security padlock showing in Chrome for MAC on the above page, plus Chrome is actually giving me a warning message for the above page 'Your connection to this site is not fully secure,' and warned me not to enter any passwords (which I certainly won't do.)

How do I get BT-FON off my router?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Please Help Me Disable BT FON

You need to login to MyBT, which is secure, then go to "manage my Extras". You will find the option for BT Wifi, where you can disable it.

This should be a direct link https://www.bt.com/appsconsumeraccount/secure/BTWifiRegistered.do?ServiceName=BTWIFI&Action=DOWNLOAD

0 Ratings
heroman1959
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me. 

I have logged into my BT ID, and checked the section where it says:

'Bt-Wi-fi'

It says that the above feature is 'inactive.' I am pretty confident however that my router is broadcasting BT-FON however. The BSSID of BT-FON matches my router apart from the final digit.

Also, when I turn my router off, then the BT-FON service disappears.

What do I do now?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

What you need to do is to opt in first, wait 24 hours, then opt out again. That will trigger the BT servers to change the status on the home hub when it next connects. This can take up to 28 days, as there are quite a few home hubs to poll.

The other alternative is to use a third party router, as they do not transmit BT Wifi/FON.

Is there any specific reason why you want to opt out, as you would lose access to other hotspots?