Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimh22
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Potential scam from alleged McAffee anti virus not on

Go to solution

In the last week I have been receiving a pop up window whenever I go on my internet browser or Mozilla Thunderbird e-mail and also if I try to access my web host's site. 

It is a warning that no antivirus software is protecting my computer/connections from Mcaffee but I note that at the bottom there is the wording "Powered by the Fast App store" 

I scanned my desktop pc using BT antivirus which is working or seems to but no alerts of any viruses etc were evident from that.  I then tried malwarebyte scan which raised quite a few for isolation which I did but the Mcaffee screen has reappeared since then. 

i)    Is this a genuine message or a scam? (PS It has just popped up again while typing this e-mail so it must be wider than just the few programmes or sites above

ii)  If a scam how do remove the cause so the message does not reappear or do any other harm?

iii)  If genuine message does it mean that my av is not fully switched on and if so how do I check and correct?

Contact number is 01284 762089 or per email jim.harringtonbtinternet.com

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Potential scam from alleged McAffee anti virus not on

Go to solution

Remove the telephone number and email address from your post!

There are many warnings from other antivirus providers at the moment, not just BT MacAfee. Haven’t used MacAfee for some years....but are they asking you to enable a Password Manager, or even a VPN? It’s most likely a VPN related problem.

0 Ratings
jimh22
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

thnaku for reply.  The pop up message asks you to click the button for more details!  I do not think I did that when it first occurred.  See print screen attached

Mcaffee of message 090420.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

It needs a MacAfee user to confirm. The clue is in the reference to WHUK which is a business in itself. It may be a standard message or a fake. Do you use BT MacAfee or the straight MacAfee antivirus?

I can’t  read all the details of your screen clip. Perhaps a MaCAfee user will comment.

Remove the phone number and email address though.

0 Ratings
jimh22
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

I use the BT anti virus package which is McAffee as it comes with out broadband package.  As I mentioned earlier the pop up screen occurs with several if not most of the browser pages I try not just the site on which I took a screen shot - that site is my webhosting company

I will delete my phone and mail address sorry if that was not in accordance with the rules of the forum but wise in any case.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

There's quite a few free browser pop up blockers to choose from.

Carlusha
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

@jimh22wrote:

I will delete my phone and mail address sorry if that was not in accordance with the rules of the forum but wise in any case.

What? Not in accordance with the rules? Look, it is simple. This is a public forum. If you wish all and sundry plus a good few spammers to harvest your email address and phone number then that is fine.

@Ribblelancs is thinking of YOUR safety.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Is Windows Defender recommending any action 

0 Ratings
jimh22
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Thank you for your contribution.  As I have the BTinternet package I use the BT virus programmes that come with the package -  which I believe are McAffee virus control etc.  Nothing arose from a scan I did earlier today using MCafee.  I was advised not to use more than one main virus control so deactivated windows defender a long time ago believing that Mcaffe would give protection. 

Would it be advisable to turn on Defender temporarily to see what emerges as that would run alongside the BT virus programme and hopefully would not conflict

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

I'm not sure what you mean by disabled, did you stop it running altogether?

It normally disables itself when it detects another AV program but continues to monitor other parts of the system

0 Ratings