cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
craftycooky
Message 1 of 4

Previous versions of files

How do i stop BT Cloud from keeping old versions of updated files. I can understand keeping 1 maybe 2 old copies but BT Cloud just keeps adding new files which takes up space.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
RKM
Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: Previous versions of files

Unfortunately, the only way to do this at the moment is to move them to a folder that isn't backed up, or manually delete the old versions.  Its a limitation of the current app.

It has been reported on this forum that a future update of app may allow you to limit the number of file versions to be saved.  I'm not sure I like that idea, as it could be some time before you realise that a specific file is corrupt, and by then all the backed up versions of may be as well.  However I will be happy as long as they keep and option for unlimited versions. 

I would prefer to limit the frequency that versions are made (say to one a day, week or month) for files that get frequently changed.

0 Ratings
craftycooky
Message 3 of 4

Its a shame something is not being done quickly as i find this a right pain. The file in question is large PST file, as im in my email regulary it keeps getting backed up.

This quickly eats up the storage allowance. I wonder how many people out there dont know this and buy extra storage when its not reaslly needed.

Dave

0 Ratings
RKM
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

The interim solution that I use to overcome this problem is to move the pst file to a non-backed-up location and modify Outlook to use it there.  I then have a small batch file which runs under the Task Scheduler to run a few in-line commands:

1. Close Outlook, if it is already open
  2. Copy the pst (and ost, if using exchange) files to a backed-up location
  3. Restart Outlook

The Task Scheduler runs this batch file every 4 weeks or so.

The result is that the pst file is backed up once every 4 weeks, instead of every few minutes when it gets changed.  If I leave Outlook running, that is about every 10 minutes when it interrogates the mail server.  That reduces the number of backups made by about 4000-fold, whilst still retaining a safely excessive amount of redundancy in the backups themselves.

I set the batch file to run every 4 weeks because my mail server retains emails for at least 30 days - and occasionally longer.  So, in theory, every email should be in one of the backed up pst files.

It would be great if the updated version of the BTCloud app could set the frequency of backing up changed files to, say, hourly, daily, weekly or monthly.

0 Ratings