Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Problem installing BT Virus Protect

Go to solution

I recently decided to revert back to Windows 7 Home Premium (the factory setting) on my HP G62 Laptop after persevering with Windows 10 for over a year. The laptop is about 8 years old and HP told me that it wouldn't run Windows 10, but it has done reasonably well barring a few crashes now and again. The last time I had a blue screen, I successfully re-installed Windows 10 and it ran quite well for another 3-4 months until it happened again, so this time I decided to revert to the factory settings.

It's taken over a day to install and complete Windows Updates and it is now running Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium (64-bit).

The laptop originally had a 60 day trial of Norton Antivirus security, but as I have been a BT Broadband customer for over 10 years, I have always used BT Virus Protect. However, since reverting back to Windows 7, all attempts to re-install BT Virus Protect have failed.  The software downloads correctly, my laptop also passes the info and system checks, but then the install stops when 83%  complete and displays the following error message:  "Sorry,  your McAfee software couldn't be installed". I've also tried installing from the download app that I requested by email to no avail. There is a 'Contact Support' button next to the error message, but when clicked, it opens my Chrome browser and takes me to the McAfee website, but I cannot find a solution there. I even tried contacting McAfee via their live chat facility, but was told that I would need to contact BT for technical assistance.

I double checked that my laptop satisfied the minimum requirements before downloading the BT Virus Protect software (and it does). I've also updated all the system drivers and uninstalled the Norton 60 day trial software that came with the laptop, therefore I cannot think of any reason for the install to fail.  

Does anyone have any thoughts on what else I could try ?  I'm hard of hearing and don't really want to ring BT for help. I suppose that I could download free alternative security such as Windows  Security Essentials instead.  

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 15

Re: Problem installing BT Virus Protect

Go to solution

You might find this link helpful but read it carefully before you proceed, it's actually Symantecs removal and re-install tool.

0 Ratings
andyman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

I actually uninstalled the Norton 60-day trial software using that very tool. Thanks for the suggestion though.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

In that case download ccleaner and make sure you do the registry scan and answer yes when asked if you want to save changes. Failing that double check your machine meets the minimum requirements for BT Antivirus or better still, download one of the excellent free AV programs

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

As the first attempt at installation failed have you tried running the McAfee removal tool, then re-starting the computer before downloading and trying to re-install BT Virus Protect.

See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13523/~/i-dont-want-bt-virus-protect-anymore.-how-do-...

Before trying again check that you don't have Windows Security Essentials already installed and running on your computer. If you have it could be conflicting with the BT Virus Protect install although it should have automatically been turned off when a new antivirus is installed. If you do have it installed, temporarily turn it off while trying to install BT Virus Protect.   

To do that open Microsoft Security Essentials and click on Settings > Real-time protection. In the right pane, uncheck Turn-on real-time protection.

0 Ratings
andyman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks for all the responses.

Before each attempt at installing BT Virus Protect, I ran the MFR tool and restarted Windows. I didn't have Windows Security Essentials installed or any other security software.

I found the problem myself  in the end. When I previously uninstalled Norton Security using the NRT, it hadn't completely removed all files. I searched 'Symantec' in Windows Explorer and there was still a folder with that name which included a few files. After deleting the folder, I finally succeeded in getting BT Virus Protect to install.

It hesitated for about 10 minutes at 83%, but this time there was no error message and it completed the installation. What a relief it is that I don't now have to try explaining it all to someone in India in BT Chat.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

I still recommend that you run ccleaner (yes that is spelt correctly)

it's excellent at finding orphaned files and registry keys and is perfectly safe

andyman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution
Thanks. Will do.
0 Ratings
lesleyeagan
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Hi.

I  have exactly the same problem as the person who posted the original message. My laptop is running Windows 7 Home Premium and I am also unable to re-install BT Virus Protect.

I have installed and run CCleaner successfully.

I've run the McAfee Preinstall tool and Consumer Product Removal Tool (MCPR), and got a message saying everything had been successfully removed. 

I then restarted my laptop and ran CCleaner again.

The BT Virus Protect downloads ok, and it installs up to 83% then freezes.

I have tried the above process a couple of times, and each time it gets to 83% installation then freezes.

I am now at screaming point.

Can you suggest anything else to try please?

Thank you.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

@lesleyeagan wrote:

Can you suggest anything else to try please?

Thank you.

Anything other than BTVirus Protect.

There are far better free anti virus programs available.