cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Problems switching to Norton online security

Go to solution

I received a letter from BT a few days ago saying I needed to switch my online security from McAfee to Norton. I followed the link given in the letter and clicked on a button to switch to Norton. I then got a server(?) error. Nothing seems to have happened in terms of an update. I tried to repeat the process but the original link to switch to Norton has now disappeared from my account.

I am due to switch from standard broadband to full fibre to the home in 3 days time, so I hope this pending order hasn't caused the problem. I don't know what to do next.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Problems switching to Norton online security

Go to solution

You need to delete all McAfee files. some are in the Finder on Mac. Empty Trash Bin and restart the computer. Took me three days.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution
Thanks, I’ll try that.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

OK, I've now deleted the McAfee version of BT Virus Protect and all its files. When I went back to my BT account to update the software to Norton I clicked in the link to 'Manage' BT Virus Protect I simply got the report 'The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.'

So now my laptop has no virus protection at all, and I can't find the required link to download the Norton version of BT Virus Protect.  Why have BT made the process so difficult and have failed to provide any instructions as to how to navigate the process?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

@fellwalker74 wrote:

OK, I've now deleted the McAfee version of BT Virus Protect and all its files. When I went back to my BT account to update the software to Norton I clicked in the link to 'Manage' BT Virus Protect I simply got the report 'The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.'

So now my laptop has no virus protection at all, and I can't find the required link to download the Norton version of BT Virus Protect.  Why have BT made the process so difficult and have failed to provide any instructions as to how to navigate the process?

If your laptop is a Windows laptop you will have Microsoft virus program on it which turns on automatically in the absence of any other anti virus program and that will be protecting your laptop until you get Norton working.

As regards your comment about BT failing to provide any instructions as to how to navigate the process, there is instructions on in the BT Help pages

What is BT Virus Protect and how do I get it? | BT Help

There is also an information post on this forum.

Important updates to your virus and password prote... - BT Community

There is also a post about the "Server Error" 

BT Virus protect: “Server error” - BT Community

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

I 've just solved the problem and have successfully installed the Norton version of BT Virus Protect on a laptop and PC, both with Windows 10.

The fix was discovered amongst BT's FAQs relating to 'The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.' Apparently, in order to download the Norton software, your BT login must be the same as your email address. This has never been the case for my BT account. Once I'd edited my profile to change my username to match my email, the downloads proceeded without a hitch.

Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

Many thanks for posting back to let us know you got the BT Virus Protect with Norton software downloaded successfully @fellwalker74 

Take care and have a good day 😁

All the best,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

Trying to update to Nortons and getting the error below , any suggestions this is happening on PC, Mobile and Laptop. McAfee has been deleted from Android phone

colin1501_0-1643055364443.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

I haven’t installed Norton software on my Android phone. I deleted McAfee and all its files using the Windows uninstaller immediately before installing Norton on my laptop and PC. At what stage in the process did you get the error that you posted?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

The error occurs when I try to use the manage button on virus protect on the BT website, the account has 'Account Holder' status. It appears that the link will not login to the Nortons website.

0 Ratings