cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Problems with Norton on PC

I downloaded Norton security  but the computer now feels slower than it was previously

have other people seen any difference in the performance of their computers with Norton on instead of Mcfee 

are there  extras i need to turn off ?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Problems with Norton on PC

@londonman wrote:

I downloaded Norton security  but the computer now feels slower than it was previously

have other people seen any difference in the performance of their computers with Norton on instead of Mcfee 

are there  extras i need to turn off ?

The slow down is a well known problem with Norton There have been a few complaints about it on the forum.

Go through the add ons, features and settings in Norton an decide which of these you need and want and turn off the ones that you can live without. Only you can decide which these will be.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

ok thanks .. have any features been highlighted as causing the slowdown ?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

I don't use Norton so can not offer any personal advice and there are that many threads that I can not recall any specific ones.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

I have the same problem; irritating as I only downloaded Norten because BT seemed to have switched for previously using McAfee; took we ages as I had to change all my log-ins because I joined BT before my user name or ID was my email address; Norton wouldn't accept the one I've used quite happily for many years!

Anyway "Distinguished Sage's " advice ain't very precise; how do I "go through..." ?  What actually do I do to solve this irritation?  Simple steps for the non-expert please; I lived happily for 50-60 years before domestic computers were available so need baby steps having only used them for the past 20?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Norton is on a par, or maybe not quite on a par, with McAfee; they're both vastly overrated and even at zero cost they're still overpriced.

If you still want to persist with it then try switching off any and all extensions that Norton has added to your browser, note that you will have to suffer the occasional nag screen to re-enable them if you do.

I suggest you go one better and uninstall it completely as it's not a patch on the inbuilt Windows Security.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

@AlexMac wrote:

Anyway "Distinguished Sage's " advice ain't very precise; how do I "go through..." ?  What actually do I do to solve this irritation?  Simple steps for the non-expert please; I lived happily for 50-60 years before domestic computers were available so need baby steps having only used them for the past 20?

My advice was possible not very precise for you because it was not directed to you!

I have no idea what "add ons" you need and as I have already said "Go through the add ons, features and settings in Norton"   and decide which of these add ons that you do not need. If you are not sure how to do that try an Internet search about Norton add ons and settings.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Thank you Distinguished Sage, for your advice, below, that I can to use Google to solve my problems with Norton;

"Re: Problems with Norton on PC
@AlexMac wrote:

Anyway "Distinguished Sage's " advice ain't very precise; how do I "go through..." ?  What actually do I do to solve this irritation?  Simple steps for the non-expert please; I lived happily for 50-60 years before domestic computers were available so need baby steps having only used them for the past 20?"

Distinguished Sage replied;

"My advice was possible not very precise for you because it was not directed to you!

I have no idea what "add ons" you need and as I have already said "Go through the add ons, features and settings in Norton"   and decide which of these add ons that you do not need. If you are not sure how to do that try an Internet search about Norton add ons and settings"

Sorry Distinguished Sage for reading advice which was not directed to me; it regrettably came up in a search.  I won't intrude again - apologies

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

@AlexMac wrote:

Sorry Distinguished Sage for reading advice which was not directed to me; it regrettably came up in a search.  I won't intrude again - apologies

Nothing wrong with reading what was not directed to you just don't complain that the advice was not very precise for you if the advice was not in response to a question that you never asked.

My reply in response to your post was directed to you and may or may not have had advice that you could have used or it could have been elaborated on if you had bothered to reply to it in a positive manner.

0 Ratings