cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChristopherPovey
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

[Ques] BT Cloud Bidirectional Sync...

Does the BT Cloud software support bidirectional sync?

For example:

I set up the BT Cloud software to sync my documents folder. In addition I follow a monthly drive imaging backup.

One day I need to rebuild my PC so I restore the image from my backup. Some of the files on in my Documents folder are now older than the ones on the BT Cloud (as they are from the restored image). The first time I login to Windows 10, will the BT Cloud Software replace the old files with the ones from the cloud? Or will it upload the old files to the cloud (as it detects the difference)?

If the later happens can I then restore the file from the version before on the BT Cloud?

If i have created new files since the image was taken, will the BT software delete them from the cloud (because it thinks I have deleted the files)?

Thanks.

Chris.
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
NeilO
Message 2 of 6

Re: [Ques] BT Cloud Bidirectional Sync...

Hi @ChristopherPovey, thanks for posting. That's a really good question, I don't know the answer personally so I've raised this with our cloud team and will post back here when I get an update.

0 Ratings
ChristopherPovey
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

Thanks.
Chris.
0 Ratings
ChristopherPovey
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

Also given the number of Windows 10 Update issues in the past few weeks which results in the user's profile being deleted. It could result in those files also being deleted from the BT Cloud too?

Chris.
0 Ratings
ChristopherPovey
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

As there has been no response to this question I thought I would try some experiments.

• I have installed BT Cloud software.
  • I have created a test folder with two text files inside it. The files contain the date and time they were created.
  • I have then set BT Cloud to backup this folder.
  • On the BT Cloud website I can see both files have been added.

First Test – Simulate Restoring a Hard Drive from Image Replacing Newer Files in the Cloud with Older Files from the Image:

• Copy one of the files somewhere else then updated the original with a new date (so it is newer).
  • The BT Cloud Web page shows two versions.
  • Exit out of BT Cloud software.
  • Replaced the new file with the original older file (simulates an image restore).
  • Restarted BT Cloud.
  • The original file (old file) on the PC remained.
  • The BT Cloud Web page shows three versions. So it has backup up the old file over the new one.

FAIL!

Second Test – Simulate a File Being Created After the Image has been Taken. So the File is not in the Image:

• Exit out of BT Cloud software.
  • Delete the other file from the folder (simulates an image restore where the file is created after the image was taked).
  • Restarted BT Cloud.
  • The BT Cloud Web page shows the deleted file still.
  • The Restore option in the software recovered the file.

Though not automated missing files are not removed from the Cloud if they are removed from the PC when the BT Cloud software is not running. So you have to know what new files you created since the Image was taken. Not ideal.

Chris.
0 Ratings
Robmonster
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

This is an interesting question. 

I will just add that copying an old file over the top of an existing file does not really simulate an image restore. While to the user it may look that way, on the underlying disk structure things will be different so I am not sure that is a suitable test in this instance. We don't know exactly how BT Cloud is detecting differences or file attributes 

0 Ratings