Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mk3lly
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Re: BT Smart Talk

Go to solution

Hi - I'm having a similar problem with setting up Smarttalk on a new phone as i no longer have access to the old phone it was on.  I have just had a very strange exchange with someone on chat who could not seem to get past the point in the script where I don't have access to the old phone. I was alos told that smart talk is no longer suppored by BT - is this true? I can see similar problems appear to be getting fixed via the moderators on here.  Is anyone able to help me or advise who to try next?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Go to solution

@mk3lly

Try the suggestion on this page BT SmartTalk issues

mk3lly
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for the suggestion Keith - I'll try when i get home - link doesn't work in work on non-BT connection.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@mk3lly wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion Keith - I'll try when i get home - link doesn't work in work on non-BT connection.

No problem, it explains how the registration system works, and what process to take. Its on my personal website, as its only intended for BT broadband customers, and not for the whole world Smiley Wink

If that process fails, then I can ask a moderator to look at it.

0 Ratings
mk3lly
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

I followed the steps on the link and this has let me setup the new phone with a new ID.  Shame BT supoort couldn't have told me this.  Thnaks again for your help - Mark

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

My pleasure Smiley Happy

As a triallist, I understood how it all fitted together.

0 Ratings
xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

@mk3llywrote:

I was alos told that smart talk is no longer suppored by BT - is this true? 

I note this wasn't answered in your original question, so to complete the picture, "Yes, this is true".

The position as I understand it at time of writing is that BT Smart Talk still works for existing customers but is being withdrawn in December 2018. It is not actively supported - so if you're an existing Smart Talk user and call up with a problem don't expect much (if any) help. New BT staff for example aren't even being advised/trained as to what Smart Talk is and others may actively discourage you from using it. (This comes from advice to BT staff on the BT intranet).

I like the way Smart Talk enables me to make wi-fi connected calls when outside the EU, making use of my home phone plan for charging purposes. Sadly, there is no BT alternative being offered to replace this ability when BT Smart Talk goes.

Information to customers about what's actually happening to BT Smart Talk is conspicuous by its absence on bt.com so I hope this is helpful.

0 Ratings