cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Re: BT Virus Protect.

Rather than start a new thread, my problem with BT Virus Protect is not quite the same.
Up until a few days ago, when I started receiving pop ups stating that it needs to be re-activated, it was working fine.
All that happens re the activation is a McAfee page appearing asking for account details, e- mail, password. What?
I now have a message that BT Virus Protect has been de-activated.
I uninstalled it then through my BT account downloaded and installed. The set up process completes and I then get the de-activated message. I've tried two further uninstalls and re-installs with the same result.
It is now removed from my p.c. and a free anti-virus installed until this can be, if possible, sorted out.
Any ideas? I have tried that "Acitvate"(never noticed that error) and it doesn't work.

I have , of course, removed the free antivirus each time.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Beginner
Message 2 of 7

Same thing happening to me. I have only used 7 of my 15 licenses. Going round in circles.. installing then uninstalling. The "Reactivate" button takes me to a McAfee login screen. My BT account details don't work with this
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

I keep getting a reminder that my protection ends in X number of days, I just ignore it and nothing seems to happen. When I click on the McAfee icon in task bar I always get the green tick showing I'm protected. I think BT should sort things out but I doubt they ever will. If ever I find I'm no longer protected I will go back to AVG free.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

I contacted "chat" re this and they were about as much use as a chocolate tea pot. I don't think he even understood what I was trying to describe.

I have been going round in circles too but I don't even now get past the first enter you registration key. I am just advised that all my licences are in use - NO they are not.

Why is it not possible to remove/delete the two supposedly active devices/licenses and start from scratch?

Avast from now on as an alternative to this absolutely unfit fo purpose "free" extra!

Message 5 of 7

Hello - has anyone had any further updates on this problem? Everything working fine then messages telling me my subscription has expired and the software has been de-activated. Customer Support were hopeless and merely reset my Hub to factory settings - which was extremely annoying and took me hours to figure out and recover all my networked devices. I have raised a complaint but not holding my breath. Strange thing is that another laptop in the house with the same software installed is working fine. Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

It seems that this error usually comes about after an update and most people seem to uninstall and reinstall the app, which, it seems,  just makes the problem worse.

Whenever I've had that problem I just do a right click on the McAfee icon in the system tray and then select Verify Subscription on the popup menu.

The uninstaller for McAfee (AKA BT Protect) is notoriously poor and has been for years and leaves orphaned files and registry items behind, these are then re-activated, together with any saved parameters when you try to re-install.

If you want to re install then you will need to download MSPCR.exe from the McAfee website and follow the instructions to run it to the letter as any short cuts you may be tempted to take will not work

If you found this post helpful 🙂 then please let me know by clicking the thumbs up button below. On the other hand, if you found it unhelpful 😞 then please let me know by clicking the thumbs up button below . 😄
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Thanks - just to be clear are you referring to the MCPR tool for removing the software? If so I've tried that and then re-installed but still got the same result. Also I have tried verifying the software as you describe - I get a warning, click Proceed - then ....nothing. Appreciate your help. 

0 Ratings