cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
navinsuyal
Message 1 of 3

Re: BTWiFi-X

Go to solution

Hello all, Ever since I moved to BT infinity my wifi reception has been pathetic.-It does not even work in two rooms right next to the small hall where the router is placed- to the extent that I have started using a cable which I have to drag from one room to other! Finally I decided to understand what is happening as I had free time over Ester! I was always suspicious of the two additional SSIDs BTWifi-X and BTWifi-with-FON but I never dug deep enough- assuming these must be from somebody else. Finally, I have figured out that these actually are being broadcasted from my hub! After google search- I landed on the postings on this forum and I was absolutely disgusted to realise that BT is doing this witout informing the customers! It is an absolute cheating and outright stealing!!!

When I called BT customer service to switch it off- the lady says- there was no charge for this!!! I then try to speak to a manager- he first argues- it is in your contract. On questioning where- he points me to a page on BT site. He fails to understand the difference between the contract and some information on the website! 

I am surprised that BT does all this queitely, keeping the customers in dark. I am going to post this on every public forum I can think of (so that people know) and also I am going to lodge a complain with Ofcom. This is not acceptable at all.   

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 3

Go to solution

Welcome to the forum. Your complaint is not directly relevant to the original thread so I've moved your post to start a new one on the appropriate board.

Since 2009, BT Broadband customers have been opted in to the free wifi service by default; this is covered in the Value Added service terms, which form part of the standard BT Terms and Conditions. So it's not a secret as you have to acknowledge that you've read the T&C when you take the service. You can opt out of the service here; if you do, your home hub will cease broadcasting the relevant SSIDs but you will not be able to use BT Wifi free when away from home.

Being opted in has no effect on your own wifi connection. You can get advice about your issues with it by posting details on the BT Infinity Speed/Connection Issues board

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
str8chat
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Go to solution

If you don't want it, go to http://www.bt.com/btfon click on check status, then enter your primary email address and password. It will show you are opted in. Lower down the page is a section to opt out.

Once you opt out it will take a few days before the router gets updated to remove the BTWiFi related SSIDs and the service they provide.

0 Ratings