Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Hestia
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Re: Cloud

I have been having the most terrible problems with the Cloud and the customer service people are rude beyond belief.  I've used BTCloud since it first started and to be fair, it used to be really good.  Then, it seems, someone has decided that it would be much better used as a sharing platform and to synchronise across all of your devices (because, as you know, we all want to synchronise 100GB or more of data on to our mobile phones, don't we?). 

When my old computer died, it was a straightforward matter to log on and tell the Cloud to download the entire folder structure to my new computer.  Thank goodness that happened before the service was 'improved'...  Having a look at my old back-ups a few weeks ago, I saw that the entire folder structure had been deleted and instead there was 100GB of data all dismantled into several hundred folders.  When I asked why this had happened, I was told it was the 'new way' and that it was my fault for having too much data.  Seriously.

Then it gets even more worrying.  My new computer (used for work and home) obviously needs to back up.  So I backed up 110 Gb of photos (one nice folder with lots of sub-folders for family, holidays... and suc-folders there again).  It took a couple of days to back up completey and there it is in my 'back-up' window showing that it is all backed up and nicely secure.  That is until you log on and try to find it.  It doesn't show anywhere on my list of backed up folder.  A missing 110Gb of data (although it shows in the used volume).  There is no way to find it at all.  Three times I've had engineers shadow my system to show me what I am supposedly doing wrong, all to give up and say it needs escalating.  The folder shows when I log on using the phone app: the engineers helpfully suggested that if I wanted to restore the photos I could restore them to my phone instead. 

On top of that, you try permanently deleting anything in your deleted folder.  It just comes up with 'error deleting'. 

One of the customer services people even said to me that it wasn't designed for restoring data any more. 

It randomly changes the names of things (one of my 'repositories' as it's now called had its name changed to something to do with my desktop when it was previously named the same as the computer).  It randomly adds things to the synchronisation list (yesterday afternoon it was 30 years worth of Egyptology photos that I suddenly discovered it was trying to synchronise to my phone).  It randomly switches on synchronisation after it's been turned off (thanks, BT, for helping me lose 10 years' worth of work phone numbers when it did this and my poor partner wondered why he had all of these unknown numbers on his phone and deleted them - so the stupid cloud took this as the master list and synchronised the deletions to my own phone). 

Having escalated the issue, I was promised a call on a specific dat and a specific number.  They called three days later on the wrong number and wondered why I wasn't at home to take the call and then having called me at work, said that if I didn't speak then they would list the issue as resolved.  The pest did anyway, having told me that it is just the 'new way' and that there wasn't a problem. 

I spent the weekend backing up my computer on to an external drive.  There's no point trying to delete anything that I've got in the Cloud, 'delete' doesn't work.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Hestia
Beginner
Message 2 of 6

As my message has been moved to a little place all on its own, I thought I'd helpfully provide a list of other things that aren't working.

BTCloud on my PC randomly creates several different 'devices' with different names that are all the same device.  My phone currently has five different names as though it's five different devices: tablet has got three; partner's phone also got three; his tablet has got another three...  So it backs up and resychronises across itself and I end up with mulitple copies of things in the Cloud.

Search facility makes the system lock up (so where my folder structure has been dismantled, I can't search for things either).  Of course, if my folder structure hadn't been destroyed I wouldn't need to use the search to find my university files, or dissertation folders, would I?

Yesterday, on the 'summary' window that appears on start-up, it took over half an hour to switch from 'summary' to 'back-up' for me to check that my data had indeed been backed up (because it can't be found), locking up the software for that time unless I just switched off the PC.

Randomly from time to time BTCloud tells me that I don't have an account.

It won't let me delete folders in my BTCloud folder that it has determined I want synchronised across all devices, even though I haven't specified them.  It will only let me unmark them (and then randomly reset them three or four hours later...).

But the worse thing of all is to be called stupid by customer services people because it's just the new way of working and I have to live with it when they realise that they don't know what's wrong or how to fix it.  Unfortunately, most of them have such lousy English that they can't understand when I say that data is missing, because they can't see it and just assume I'm too thick to understand how to make a back-up.  When I teach them how to look through a folder structure, the only response is to escalate the issue, but that means putting it in a black hole where it will never be resolved.  They never return calls when they say they will.  They never take or read the notes from previous discussions and they never even call the right phone number.

0 Ratings
BT Cloud Expert
BT Cloud Expert
Message 3 of 6

Hi @Hestia

Sorry you’ve had such a bad time of things trying to get help with BT Cloud – it sounds like you have good grounds to be very disappointed with the way we’ve handled things.

The good news is that your folder structure will still be intact and backed up to BT Cloud – if you’re looking to restore some of all of the contents of a previously backed up machine then the easiest way to do that is by clicking the ‘Restore’ button in the BT Cloud software. You can find instructions on how to use this feature here, under 'How can I use BT Cloud to restore content from a computer that I've previously backed up'.

We currently have an issue that is causing the full file structure to not show up correctly for some users when they’re looking at the All My Files section of the BT Cloud website. I’ve posted some more detail about this problem on this thread.

With regard to the other problems you’ve highlighted, I think I’ll need some more information to understand what’s causing these problems. I’ll ask the Mod’s to collect some details from you, so I can look into them and get in touch personally.

Thanks,

Joe – BT Cloud Product Manager

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Hi @Hestia and thanks for posting.

Can you please drop me over an email with your details and we'll get this looked into for you. You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Hestia
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Thank you for getting back to me.  I know in theory how to do a restore, but unfortunately as all of my folders can't be found it's not possible to restore them if I want to...  Nor is it possible to restore the folder structure so the assumption is  that I will restore several hundred folders from my old computer and then gradually search through them and set a new structure myself.  This was confirmed by the helpdesk as the preferred way of dealing with this now 'as it's the new way'....

Forgot:  and they also said that it was my fault that it would take me a long time to do because I had 'stored too much information'...  Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
BT Cloud Expert
BT Cloud Expert
Message 6 of 6

Hi @Hestia,

It is possible to restore the folder structure using the method I described. When you press the 'Restore' button you should see a screen like this one below, where your whole folder structure (from the C: drive down) is visible and you can choose what you'd like.

If you're seeing something else then please let the mods know using the details they provided, and I'll look into this straight away.

Thanks,

Joe

Restore files.png

0 Ratings