cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 26

Re: How to turn off hot spot?

Go to solution

Just got a smart hub2 and halo and spotted BT are still using me as a public hotspot on the band I have turned off.

Cannot see a my packge on myBT now, please advise how to opt out of hotpots on the current menu structure.

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

Go to solution

I wondered where this had disappeared to!

Further research and have follwed the email instructions in

https://community.bt.com/t5/Broadband-Extras-Apps-from-BT/Smarthub-2-wont-disconnect-from-Wi-Fi-x-an...

Be a shame to cancel the new contract as the kit is good, but I live in an isolated house and do not wish to advertise computer gear.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 26

Go to solution

If you live in an isolated house (as I do) you will notice any strangers lurking long before they have had a chance to login to BT wifi.

Unless you completely remove all wifi, you will always 'be advertising computer gear' which I doubt is any sort of problem in itself as I suspect there are extremely few properties that don't have computer gear so is hardly a magnet.

Message 4 of 26

Go to solution

Suggestions to help with my desire to turn off BT hotpot that I knew nothing of when I took out this contract a couple of days ago are welcome.

Criticisms of my reasons for not wanting to be a hotspot are irrelevant and a pointless post

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 26

Go to solution

Have you tried following the instructions here? https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/how-do-i-opt-out-of-bt-wi-fi-

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 26

Go to solution

Tried that but thanks for the suggestion, the link is out of date and defaults to the my product page and navigating from there tends to result in BT trying to sell you something. I did find the opt out once but have never managed to find it again. The same applies to the link on the router broadband status page.

Even if successful it would apparently take a month to turn off what turned on instantaneously. What appears to me to be an effort to make it as difficult as is possible to opt out of as turning off wifi on the router does NOT turn off this hotspot broadcast.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 26

Go to solution

The only way to guarantee that you would never transmit BT Wifi hotspot, is to use a third party router.

Even if you do manage to turn off the hotspot, it will get enabled again if you have to factory reset the home hub, and you would have to go through the process of enabling it online again, then waiting 24 hours, then disabling again and waiting up to 28 days again.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 26

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 26

Go to solution

Thanks Keith.

I'm struggling with this.

I've gone from my own bespoke network on FTTC to my own Draytek hybrid router (but no VOIP) / backbone / access point and bridge to BT Halo 3+ to simplify things for my wife should anything happen to me following a health scare. That so to enable support for a bog standard system and cover us when PSTN finishes.

Under the old system we could access BT Wifi anywhere. So having upgraded to the premium BT offering available to us BT will consider it sulking if I opt out of being a hotspot and, in turn, ban us from accessing other BT hotspots as we have done for the last two years?

Is that what will happen?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 26

Go to solution

if you opt out of BTWIFI then it will eventually be turned off on the hub and you will no longer have access to BTWIFI/hotspots when out and about.  however if you do not opt out but use a third party router then obviously you cannot connect to your own BTWIFI but you are still permitted to connect to BTWIFI when out and about

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings