cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TOPSie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Re: I can't log on to the BT WIFI hotspots.

Go to solution

My problem is the same in that I cannot log in to a BT with FON hotspot, but the circumstances are somewhat different.

So the story:-

I have been a BT customer for about 10 years, but I have never had a BT email address. Until 2 years ago my line was piggy-backed by Virgin who gave me ADSL broadband (about 2Mb). Then BT Infinity came along and I transferred to BT Broadband – but kept my old BT account – just added the Broadband.

So my credentials to access my BT account are my BTID which is just my name (not an email address) and a password which I recently reset.

For the first time yesterday I went away from home and I took my work laptop and a Windows Tablet.

The laptop is a high spec machine running Windows 7 and the tablet runs Windows 10.

On both machines I went to the WiFi settings and noted a good signal on BT with FON so I connected both machines.

The laptop connected straight to my work network, using VPN. I was able to perform all my work functions and access the Internet and my gmail accounts (using Chrome). At no time did I get prompted for my BT Id or password.

The tablet however would not even connect to Google.co.uk. It (Google) said my connection was not private and refused to do anything. So I tried yahoo.co.uk. This time I got the BT wifi log in screen. I said I was a BT Broadband customer and I used the credentials which work at BT.com but it refused to accept them. I also tried my registered gmail account as my BT Id but this did not work either.

I indulged in a “chat” with BT support and was told (in broken English) that Windows 10 is not supported!!!!

However reading extensively through BT help and these forums I can find no confirmation of this statement!!.

My theory is that I need a BT email address to use for this connection.

Does anyone confirm this? If so how do I get one?

Or is there another answer?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Go to solution

@TOPSie Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting,  I've started your own thread to avoid confusion with the other posters issue which is slightly different. I'm sorry to see you've had trouble logging into BT WiFi on your tablet.

As your BT broadband started 2 years ago your BT Wi-Fi username would be the BT ID you created when you joined BT Broadband. If you had BT Broadband prior to 2013 then its your @btinternet.com login details.

Have you tried downloading the BT Wifi app for your tablet as this may make logging in easier?  Let me know if that helps.

Cheers

Neil 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Try making your BTID an email address, it does not need to be a BT one, and see if that works.

0 Ratings
TOPSie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

I have downloaded the app (It says for Windows 8.1 - but I have Windows 10) and I got as far as the login screen. It will accept neither my BT Id (just my name, no @ sign) nor my register email account (gmail). I repeat I do not have a BT email account.

It a BT email account the only way forward?? If so how do I get one?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

@TOPSie Oh I see,  no the BT ID should work. Have you tried @gg30340's suggestion and changed your BT ID username to your email address?  This link explains how you can update this.

If that doesn't work send over your details to me using the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile. You can find the link by clicking on my username .

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
TOPSie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

I accessed my account at BT.com and navigated to change my BT Id to my current registered email address. I typed it into the change usesrname box and a little green tick appeared next to it. But when I hit the SAVE button it replied with a message saying I must uses a valid email address!!!

So the validation of my BT Id as a email address is not accepting a genuine email address that is used elsewhere in the system.

I have two theories:- either the validation is looking  for a BT style address specifically or the validation does not like  the fact that I have two full stops in my address (name.initial.surname@gmail.com) (this has failed on other sites I seem to remember)

0 Ratings
TOPSie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution
just replied to @gg30340's suggestion see post
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

@TOPSie it's probably the two full stops. Send over your details and we'll get this looked into.

0 Ratings
TOPSie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution
Got to dash to a birthday party - I will reply in detail later 🙂
0 Ratings
TOPSie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Sorry can't figure out how to send you a PM (is it because you are off-line?)

I thought I would try a different tack. If my registered email address (with two full stops) can't be used as my BT Id I tried to keep my BT Id the same (i.e. my name - with no @ sign) and try and change my email address.

I typed a new valid email address in the "email" box on the BT.com Change My Profile page. Once again I used an gmail account I own, but it is in a more standard form name.othername@gmail.com.

As I tabbed away from the field a little green tick appeared next to it - looks good so far. Then you have to enter your password to confirm the change. When I had completed this field I then get a message to say that the email address is invalid!!!!

So perhaps I do need a BT email address???????????????????????????????

0 Ratings