cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 31

Re: Login to McAfee / BT Virus Protect

I have had to remove BT Virus Protect and re-install it today (after it got stuck in Checking for Updates).

I now have a BT page telling me it is Active, but when I launch it I'm told it's Deactivated.

When I click to Reactivate, I am asked to login to McAfee using a user name of (gobbledygook) at BTNetprotect.co.uk, which I've not seen before. There's no "forgotten password" option.

What can I do?

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31

Hi @EdB9 welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. Sorry that you are getting a message that the Virus Protect is Deactivated. I've had a look through How to remove and reinstall the Virus Protect and wanted to check if you used the removal tool to ensure all traces of it were removed from your device before reinstalling as that might be a possible cause.

cheers
John

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 31

John:

Thanks for the prompt reply.

My attempt to use Uninstall failed, possibly because the Check for Updates was still "running" (actually stuck at 25% for two days!). The BT "Fault Adviser" on the phone advised me to use the Removal tool, and after doing that and two Restarts, I was able to install Virus Protect. Then the current problem hit me.

One oddity I noticed was that an old mobile phone was still linked to my (BT) account - I never found out how to remove it - so the Removal tool hasn't cleared everything out.

Cheers,

Ed B

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 31

Hi @EdB9, If you haven't tried already I'd recommend running the McAfee Virtual technician tool as it may be able fix this issue for you. Let me know if this helps?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 31

Neil:

I tried to download McAfee Virtual Technician, but nothing happened.
Through a McAfee chat support, I found that the Technician (MVT) has "retired". (A clue in the BT page from your link - supported browsers are only "IE 6.0 or later (not IE 9.0)" and "Firefox 2.0". )
It's now integrated with McAfee software, which must mean I can't get to its replacement because I'm Deactivated!

However, I was given a URL for MVT with a warning that it might not fix issues for BT-Virus protect. I presume I have nothing to lose... Do you agree?

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 6 of 31

Why use McAfee when the built in Windows Defender works transparently with few overheads?
See https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/
Message 7 of 31

Hi @EdB9, sorry about the delay getting back to you, yeah give it a try and let me know if it helps?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 31

Neil:

I ran it and it found no problems. It presumably doesn't know about BT Virus Protect and so didn't look at my BT Account.

If there is no-one in BT who can look at things from the BT Account side, I'll have to live without BT Virus Protect, and rely on Windows Defender.

Regards, Ed

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 31

Hi EdB9 sorry that you have been unable to get the Virus Protect working. I've sent you a Private Message with details on how to contact the Mod team and we will be happy to help you further.

cheers
John

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 31

I have the same "deactivated" message.3 hours on Sunday to bt help lines and nobody said they could help. Remove and reinstall was their suggestion but I did it 5 times with the same outcome. Mcafee loaded but said my software was deactivated. Is there anyone who I can talk to?

regards

Bernard