cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jane2018
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Re: Unable to turn off BT Web Protect

I think I managed to turn it off but worth noting that when I logged in it said 3 active messages, one was about this service. I definitely clicked on "NO THANKS" and it immediately came up you have signed up to web protect. On my other account the same thing happened! I am absolutely certain I clicked on No Thanks and not to sign up for the service - I want none of these protections. I was able to log on and I hope I have managed to turn it off. I have two emails - one says thanks for seinging up and one very shortly after - thanking me for turning it off but it sounds like there is a bug on the website that if you click No Thanks meaning you don't want the service it takes that as you DO want the service.
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

@Jane2018

I agree, there is an error on the website, as I noticed the same thing. I clicked "No Thanks" as well, and it activated. Luckily I managed to turn it off right away, otherwise I would have lost Internet connectivity as I use OpenDNS.

I will flag this up to one of the moderators.

Message 3 of 10

Thanks for taking the time to report this to us @Jane2018.

I've tested it in a few different browsers and have noticed that it does activate it on some and not on others. I've reported it and expect that it will get fixed over the next couple of days Smiley Happy

Thanks again

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

@DanielS I was using Firefox when I noticed the problem. It may explain a few other posts where its been activated when people do not want it.

AlisonM
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Just to report that exactly the same thing happened to me.  I definitely clicked No thanks to both BT Web Protect and BT Virus Protect, but they both started to activate anyway (I was using IE11 on Windows 10). Going to the Manage My Extras section of MyBT, it was possible to de-activate Web Protect again using the on/off toggle switch, but there is unfortunately no such option to de-activate Virus Protect. The only available options are to download the software or to upgrade to a paid version. I am therefore now stuck with green "activated" ticks at Virus Protect and the associated True Key.  I trust, and sincerely hope, that this is merely some sort of pre-activation and that nothing will actually happen unless I download the McAfee software, which I definitely won't be doing.  However, I really would like to be able to remove those annoying green ticks at extra products I do not wish to use.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention and sorry for the confusion this has caused.

I am happy to confirm that we are aware of an issue and this will be fixed this week.

@AlisonM – You are absolutely correct in that nothing will happen in terms of BT Virus protect unless you decide to download and install it.  As you won’t be doing that, it will not affect your current anti-virus protection that you are running even despite the tick showing against this service on your MyBT.

Cheers

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

@PaddyB

Thanks for the update, the issue gave me a few anxious moments, as I would have lost connectivity as all my devices use OpenDNS.

0 Ratings
bgromt
Message 8 of 10

Hello, I have just joined BT today and was in the process of setting up my account when this happened to me. I clicked "NO THANKS" but it caame up with I have signed up to web protect. What do I do now? I most definetly do NOT want web protect.
0 Ratings
Jane2018
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

I was using firefox (when No thanks led to the opposite of no thanks....)

0 Ratings
Jane2018
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Now  with no promopting and no requests for the service or anyting BT have sent me an email today saying "We've added BTY web protect to our account". That seems to be of their own initiative.

Unhelpfully it does not say which of my two separate BT accounts /ID (I have 3 landlines and 3 broadband accounts) it relates to. I have logged into one and that seems to have BT Web protect on "off".

I logged into the second and although I can see the bills as usual it says I cannot go to security settings as my son is account holder for that. When he was about 14 I think he registered us for BT sport but apart from that there is no way he could be down as an "account holder". Anyway I've applied to change acount holder to me and a PIN will be sent through the post - so the saga continues. Hopefully once we receive that by post I can access security settings on that account and take web protect off.

I cannot understand why suddenly of its own initiative BT would email me today adding BT Web Protect when I have not requested it and indeed said No thanks the other week.

What a lot of time this kind of thing is taking up.

0 Ratings