Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smithyg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 14

Re: Router reset logs

Go to solution
When I first got BT broadband I was using a specific user name and password for connection. I guess that BT decided to introduce a generic user name and no password in order to reduce support calls and enable the Home Hubs to connect "out of the box". Still, the older system could possibly have prevented the "reset" and "second hand router" attacks!
Regards, Graham.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 14

Go to solution

@smithyg wrote:
When I first got BT broadband I was using a specific user name and password for connection. I guess that BT decided to introduce a generic user name and no password in order to reduce support calls and enable the Home Hubs to connect "out of the box". Still, the older system could possibly have prevented the "reset" and "second hand router" attacks!
Regards, Graham.

You still need to use a specific wireless password to connect to a Homehub. The wireless password is on the label on the hub. The wireless password that comes with the hub is specific to that hub and is not "generic" to all hubs. It can be changed by the user however if a factory reset is carried out this restores the hub to the original wireless password that it came with.

The reason that it restores it to the original one is in case the owner forgets what they changed the wireless password to and would effectively be locked out of the hub.

There is also an admin password and again that is specific to each individual hub. This can also be changed by the user but again a factory reset will restore because of the reasons mentioned above.

A "normal" reset or a hub restart does not change the passwords. Only a factory reset does that.

EDIT: If you were meaning connecting the Homehub to the BT Network/Internet, this is authenticated by your telephone number and it would have had no bearing on what your son was doing in order to connect to the Internet unless he was disconnecting your Homehub and plugging in his own Homehub or router which he was then using to access the Internet. 

0 Ratings
smithyg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 14

Go to solution

None of the above (also I am not the orignal poster).  The Home Hubs come pre-programmed with:

Broadband username:    bthomehub@btbroadband.com

I was just pointing out thst this was not always the case and that BT originally issued a different username and password that had to be used.

Regards, a dinosaur from the 2000s

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 14

Go to solution

My mistake regarding being the OP.

As I said, the Homehub's broadband username is not relevant in this instance and has no bearing on what was happening with the OP.

For information, while the Homehubs have the username programmed in, if you use any other router the username can be anything you want as the prefix as long as the suffix is @btbroadband.com. As I said, the broadband gets authenticated against your telephone number.

0 Ratings