cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Sites blocked even though the URL is in my 'Allowed List'

Enabled Parental Control and tested a URL that met one of my chosen blocked categories (www.decanter.co.uk). As expected, URL was blocked, so clicked on the link to allow access (put in my BT ID and password) where it offered to take me to the site. However, it just blocked it again. In parallel, I get an email saying the URL was now in my 'Allowed List'. I also log into MyBT and look at my 'Allowed List' and, as expected, the URL i have just added is there. However, it is STILLbeing blocked. 

If I turn Parental Controls OFF, I can access it. When I turn it back ON, the URL is blocked again (even though it's in my 'Allowed List').

I'm using a MAC and Safari as the browser. I've flushed the browser history. I've also cleared the cache - but it's still blocked.

This makes Parental Control utterly unusable. I may as well turn it off.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
L7S
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Sites blocked even though the URL is in my 'Allowed List'

We all have issues mate with this **bleep**! top 3 threads are about this problem, but BT have no idea whats wrong it seems

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the heads-up, didn't realise it was such a big problem 😞

Got on to BT support today, and they suggested swapping my HHv6 for a HHv5, on condition that when the HHv6 is fixed, they would upgrade me FoC (they agreed). They then called back to say they would send me an 'upgraded' HHv6 instead which would fix the issues. It duly arrived the next day, and on booting, I found it had older firmware on it (May'16)!! Of course, it then updates over the broadband to 'guess what' - EXACTLY the same firmware version I have on the faulty HHv6!

Doh - if the firmware can be updated over the broadband, why did they need to send out a new HHv6?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clearly there is no other firmware available other than what was on my old HHv6 anyway (SG4B10002244), so this is not the way to fix my issues - more a sure way to wind me up even more!

Maybe swapping back to the HHv5 would be better until they sort all of this out.

Chris

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

@Captain_ShaggyIts nothing to do with the home hub, Parental contols are applied on your connection at network level, and intercepts DNS requests.

It does not matter which router or home hub you are using.

What is important is that you restart the home hub, and flush any DNS caches on your computer, whenver you make any changes to the parental control settings, however, give it an hour or so before you do that, to give time for the changes to be implemented on your account.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Hi Ketih,

That's exactly what I thought, and I told the BT Support CSA this yesterday (but they were having none of it).

Parental Control is totally unusuable for me.

Chris

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Sorry, didn't see your last comments ...

Yes, already flushed the cache and removed all cookies, but restarting the hub everytime i add a URL to the allowed list? REALLY?!!!

If I have to do this, what is the point of the redirect (i.e. when the URL is blocked, it allows you the chance to overide it with the account details, then offers to take you to the URL - which immediately fails again).

Chris

0 Ratings