cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MacK
Message 1 of 15

Smart Hub 2 access control management with MyBT app

Go to solution

The BT Smart Hub 2 now has enhanced parental controls.

From ExpertReviews - "The new Wi-Fi Controls, which can be managed via the MyBT app or via the account settings on a browser, come as standard, for free, on the Smart Hub 2 and give parents or guardians greater control over how much time family members spend online. You will need to update the firmware on your Smart Hub 2, and the MyBT app to access these features. "

Having just upgraded to BT Complete WiFi and received a new hub last week specifically for this feature, it seems the current version of MyBT on Google Play (8.5.7, Updated on Oct 2nd), doesn't contain the new features under the 'Your wi-fi network' menu.

Do I have a router firmware issue, or is the Android MyBT app lagging published functionality?

Thanks

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Smart Hub 2 access control management with MyBT app

Go to solution

just tried using android 8.5.7 and after logging in and entering hub admin password I can access wireless and set access - using samsung s9+

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
MacK
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Thank you. Can I check of this is through the MyBT app, under the 'Your wi-fi network' menu?

I'm on a relatively new Moto G6 running Android 9, and don't have the new access management options available. The  "Advanced Settings"/"BT Access Control" option is still available from the Hub Manager interface, but this is new functionality that seems to be accessible only through the MyBT app.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

@MacK wrote:

Thank you. Can I check of this is through the MyBT app, under the 'Your wi-fi network' menu?

yes -  then I can see my hub and disc and also 'control wifi access for your devices' and then all devices currently connected and others offline

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Andy005
Expert
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @MacK 

I think that this change came in with the latest Smart Hub 2 firmware update, v0.15.00.06145-BT. If you haven't received this update yet then that's why you can't access the control features through the app.

Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

The access control works from your My Bt app on your Android device.

Go to the My Bt app and go to more. Your will then see the option to manage device access to Wi-fi.

You must, of course, be connected to Wi-fi and not a data connection. It also works for older Android versions.

0 Ratings
MacK
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Thank you for all the responses on this. I've found from Andy005's post that this is a firmware version issue.

Although it was only shipped to me last week, it was on a v0.13.x version. After a factory reset, it's upgraded itself to the v0.15.00.06145BT firmware version.

The MyBT app now shows, under the 'Your wi-fi network' menu, the 'Control wi-fi access for your devices' that I was looking for.

0 Ratings
EricW
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

How do you set up access control if you dont have an Android or Apple device?.   we have lots of PC and laptops, even smart TVs but  no tablets or mobile phones?

Surley BT havent created a function on their hub that you cant actually access using devices that are physically connected to it?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

@EricW wrote:

How do you set up access control if you dont have an Android or Apple device?. 

Unfortunately, you can't.

Surley BT havent created a function on their hub that you cant actually access using devices that are physically connected to it?

I believe the idea is to prevent unauthorised circumvention of the access control by those subject to it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

I believe the idea is to prevent unauthorised circumvention of the access control by those subject to it.

Easily circumvented by a physical factory reset of course, which makes it pointless.

Before, it still needed someone to known the hub admin password, assuming it had been changed.