Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GEPC
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

SmartTalk +44 (0) XXX XXXXXXX

Go to solution

On my mobile phone the contact numbers are often stored with the international dialing code. In the case of UK numbers it is +44 (0) XXX XXXXXXX. When I make a call on the mobile network it knows to drop the +44 and insert the zero if I'm in the UK and vice versa if I'm outside the UK. The SmartTalk app doesn't reckognise this format so I have to type the number in manually. Bit of a pain! Or have I done something wrong? 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: SmartTalk +44 (0) XXX XXXXXXX

Go to solution

I think the problem is when you use smarttalk from your mobile you are effectively makinh a call as if you were using your home phone and as such you would not use +44 when making a uk call.

you can always store an additional number for your contact without the +44 for use with smarttalk

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

@imjolly wrote:

I think the problem is when you use smarttalk from your mobile you are effectively makinh a call as if you were using your home phone and as such you would not use +44 when making a uk call.

That is correct. Your call is routed via a "virtual" non-geographical number, over the normal telephone network. The CLI is overwritten with your mobile number.

0 Ratings
GEPC
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
It seems a limitation of SmartTalk. It was presumably designed to be used on mobiles? When in France, Spain etc the mobile networks need the country code. The mobile network is smart (pun intended) enough to ignor the country code when call is made in the UK. You seem to be suggesting that I store each UK number twice on my mobile. Once to use the mobile network one once to use SmartTalk.

Also if I'm in France and dialling a French number the mobile network ignores th +33. I get that using SmartTalk in France to dial a French number would be an international call from the UK. As the international access number differs depending on which country you are in the + is a useful shortcut.

I've not tried to call an international number on SmartTalk from the UK, but am wondering if SmartTalk would recognise the + as an international access or if I would need to dial 00 instead. If so, I would also need to store any international numbers twice, once for use on SmartTalk and once for use on mobile networks. Bit of a palaver!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

then just enter the numbers you are mostly to use twice or just key them in as you are doing

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
GEPC
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
Third option is to keep it simple and not use SmartTalk.

However the best solution is for the app developers add some simple code. As all calls are routed as if they originate in the UK then any telephone number being dialed that starts +44 or +44 (0) needs to be replaced with 0 and any number starting with +abc (ie not +44) is replaced with 00abc.
0 Ratings