cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moggsie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

SmartTalk App 'This mobile phone's already linked to someone elses account'

I recently bought a second hand Galaxy Note 3 from a seller on ebay. When I came to setup SmartTalk I got to stage 2 where it try's to ring my land line and I get the message 'This mobile phone's already linked to someone elses account'. I contacted the seller to ask if he used SmartTalk when he owned it, he replied that he did and had now deleted it from his account using MyBT. But it is still doing the same thing. Obviously he's not going to give me his login details so what can I do to get this working. It's driving me mad...

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: SmartTalk App 'This mobile phone's already linked to someone elses account'

You would need to get the seller to contact BT and have them unlink the phone from his account. BT will not be able to do anything about it on your say so.

0 Ratings
moggsie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Does he still have to do this even though he's deleted the phone from his MyBT?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

If it is still indicating that it is linked to his account, yes because there would appear to be a problem somewhere.

0 Ratings
moggsie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

I don't think he de-linked his account with the app before he sold the phone, he just deleted it. I get the impression just deleting a phone from MyBT simply means it won't work anymore but it's still linked to that account.

I've asked him if he'll contact BT - just have to wait for a reply.

0 Ratings
moggsie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

OK, the seller isn't bothering to reply to my emails. I've contacted BT and ended up being put through to the Smart Talk technical support. Nothing but a complete waste of time. Indian call centre with no clue about what I was asking for or what to do about it. Absolutely disgraceful.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Not sure how BT smarttalk knows the phone was already registered if you did a factory reset and are using a different sim card with new number. It does not know the imei number

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Barfly
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Factory reset my phone and installed a new sim and they still new it was linked to somene elses account, so they clearly have some way of identifying the handset.

0 Ratings
Squelch
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

It would appear that the app does use the mobile EMEI number or some other unique key, but the website and app UI identifies by the telephone number alone. If you take the SIM card out of one phone, and place it into a phone already registered with SmartTalk, it is possible to use the service without any further action, and as that the user of that phone despite having a different telephone number.

I have the following problem which is related. I am the account holder and I have my mobile registered with SmatTalk. My partner's mobile is registered as a household member. Using the web page, I see a third registration with the same name and mobile number as mine. There are no further details to identify which device this actually is except the telephone number. I have the option to block but not remove. I would be able to understand the second entry If I had needed to register again when I put my SIM in my partners phone as above, however, there was no such requirement and it just worked. I did raise this with CS and was told that the service couldn't be associated with a SIM card, and was only able to register a device. I have not spoken to anyone that is able to understand the obvious contradiction this statement holds, or the security implications this has.

I also own a Hudl Android tablet device. It does not have a telephone number or SIM provision, but has been registered with SmartTalk in the past. The application was installed as part of the Google Sync service, and the device uses the same Google account as my phone, and was regitered with SmarTlk using my BT ID.  I needed to perform a factory reset on the Hudl which removed the SmatTalk app. After it was reinstalled, I went through the registration process using both my main BT ID,  and a newly created account, neither of which have been successful. Using my account holder ID I receive the "This ID is in use with another device... You must creat a new ID" and for the newly created ID I receive the "This mobile phone's already linked to someone elses's BT SmartTalk service..." (sic) after I attempt to finalise the registration with the incoming telephone call.

In short: The mobile number is used for identification everywhere except for internal identification. This is evident form the service being accessible regardless of the telephone number (SIM card), and the previous registration of a device with no number. The web page is the only place to manage devices, yet lacks any further information about the devices other than their telephone numbers, and can even contain apparent duplicates. The ability to remove any other device than the main one is not possible, and devices without numbers don't appear to show.

It would be really nice if it was possible to deregister from the service from the client app. The unique identifier is obviously being held on a database, and clientside de-registration would simply remove both the entry and the service altogether from that device. A fresh registration would then need to be performed with the BT account holders consent to re-enable the service on that device, and no third parties (previous device owners) need to be involved - with the inherent difficulties and security implications that entails.

The whole service seems to be very odd. On the one hand there are so many hoops to jump through, yet on the other, quite obviously questionable security issues.

0 Ratings