Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ProfYaffle
Beginner
Message 1 of 33

SmartTalk - Failure to (re-)Register

Go to solution

Okay, I'm on the brink of despair here, so I'm hoping I'll get some more joy from the fine people of this forum. I've spent four days, several hours, and have spoken to half the Indian subcontinent so far with no luck...

Here's the simple scenario: I registered for SmartTalk at its launch. All seemed well - but I then decided to move my mobile registration from one of my landlines to the other (I have two... hey, I used to have three...). And I can't.

• My mobile 'phone won't let me because it insists I'm registered with the first lilne;
  • My mybt account tells me that I have no 'phones registered, so I clearly can't de-register what isn't there;
  • My mobile tells me that the only way I can change it is to stop my SmartTalk service, but then complains that it can't do that because of a "system error";
  • The FAQs tell me that I can stop my SmartTalk service from www.bt.com/mybt, where there's apparently an option to stop the service. There isn't - at least, not on my pages;
  • I've cleared the data, uninstalled and reinstalled - no joy;

I've called 0800 800 150, 0800 800 151, 0800 032 2111 and others. I've been diverted around and around. I've tried landline faults (no knowledge), broadband faults (no knowledge), billing, general and every other support number. I was even offered a call to a paid-for helpdesk "because BT doesn't support this service", which was just weird given that you only launched it GA last week.

I've been told that the service doesn't exist; that I must be taking it from someone other than BT; that I need to contact my (non-BT) broadband provider because it must be their problem; that I need to contact my mobile provider. I've had people misunderstand the "system error" message as if it were SMS spam and promise faithfully that I'll never, ever get these messages from BT again (they're not from BT, they're from your application).

At some point on my travels last week, I was promised a call back from Tom or Pam, who've been leading the trial. Nothing ever came through, and I was too much of a muppet to make a note of the number of the solitary UK-based person I'd spoken to, especially since she seemed to at least know what SmartTalk is.

I've tried the web site (there's no email address, so I can't politely describe the problem rather than re-explaining it over the 'phone time and again); there's no web form that seems to make sense (all the "contact us" routes end up at the same 150 number); the FAQs don't help.

I've really had enough - these aren't "teething troubles with a new service", this is a failure of product management to launch their service correctly in that it's clear that the entire BT organisation is clueless about the service's existence, let alone able to help.

Oh, and please don't tell me to "call 0800 032 2111, enter phone number, then option 4, then option 1" - that just routes me back to India to speak to someone else who can't help me. I've tried it twice - once when I found the number on this forum, and once when I was actually given it as the dedicated SmartTalk helpdesk number by a nice chap called Imran - full marks for trying to help me, at least.

The last time I had this sort of issue with BT, I ended up with Executive Complaints before I got it fixed. Please don't tell me that I need to do that again...? 😞

So... rant over, thanks for listening... any ideas what I can actually do? All I want to do is cancel SmartTalk... not too much to ask, is it?

(Samsung Galaxy S3 on 4.1.2, for what it's worth - and the 'phone lines in question are normal residential lines with Unlimited Anytime-type packages on them. Copper. Nothing flash. I don't even have broadband on the one it's registered to at the moment).

0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
radii
Contributor
Message 2 of 33

Re: SmartTalk - Failure to (re-)Register

Go to solution
to speak to bt smarttalk support i found i had to ring the number from the bt landline, if i rang from a mobile/skype/voip/ or office landline it wouldn't work.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 33

Go to solution

Welcome to the forums. OP's [including myself] have had a mixed bag of getting to the smart-talk menu from within bt.com

1. Type bt.com in the address bar of the browser and sign in there.  See if you can find the section in the account of the landline ST is registered to [It will be top right of page, sounds like you have more than one].

2.  Select MY BT [top right of the forum page] and try going in there.

If all fails x2, there will be a message eg 'sorry we cannot show your selrvices ATM/ imfo unavailable'.  There should be in that case an option to 'return to dashboard' and with a bit of luck you should access the cancel option from the dashboard having selected 'manage smart talk' from that dashboard.

Ive tried accessing the same functionality today a number of times and failed, only about 20 minutes ago did it work.

I've spoken to someone called Pam also.  You could send fedback from within the app, including your name and phone number, and in the e-mail generated by this action, ask 'them' to contact you asap by mobile.

Its early days of a new product, and IMHO all the ends wont be joined up yet.  What you are trying to do is theoretically possible and easy; cancel one landline a/c for another; just a bit more tricky ATM than it should be.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
ProfYaffle
Beginner
Message 4 of 33

Go to solution

Thanks, radii - I've tried it from both landlines, though, and end up in the same menu either way.

• "Hello, if you're a customer please enter the number"
  • Select Option 4 - if you have a fault or need help with your service
  • Then select Option 1 - if you have a fault with your phone service (vs. 2 for Broadband or Vision, or 3 for nuisance calls)

... announcement of "checking the details" and your number is read back to you

Menu of

• 1 - if you can't make or receive calls
  • 2 - anything else
  • 3 - if it's about BT Broadband
  • 0 - more options (which takes you to "x for bililng, y for general product information")

Selection Option 2, and you get:

• 1 - if you have a problem with your own equipment and need some help
  • ... or please hold to speak to an adviser ...

... which then lands back with the general faults desk, nothing SmartTalk-specific.

Maddening.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
ProfYaffle
Beginner
Message 5 of 33

Go to solution

@AllenQuatermain - thanks for the suggestions.

I can log in fine. I get two tabs - "My Bills and Payments" (the default) and "My Services".

If I go to the latter, I can see a link to "Manage your BT SmartTalk Service".

If I select this, I land at a BT SmartTalk page that tells me that I have 0 active users, but can have up to five; that I have allowed new signups, etc. Below that is a blank table of Active and Blocked users (I can grab a screenshot if needed, I didn't think it was really helpful). But there's no option anywhere marked "Terminate With Extreme Prejudice" or similar.

Am I just missing something? Any way I select mybt, I end up in the same place with the same lack of options ...

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 33

Go to solution

@ProfYaffle wrote:

@AllenQuatermain - thanks for the suggestions.

If I select this, I land at a BT SmartTalk page that tells me that I have 0 active users, but can have up to five; that I have allowed new signups, etc. Below that is a blank table of Active and Blocked users (I can grab a screenshot if needed, I didn't think it was really helpful). But there's no option anywhere marked "Terminate With Extreme Prejudice" or similar.

Am I just missing something? Any way I select mybt, I end up in the same place with the same lack of options ...

When you get to the blank table of active and blocked users, click the active users tab and you should see the a/c set up there, with the option to terminate.

AQ.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 33

Go to solution

I have tried looking for terminate service and cannot find it and have tried varies help headings

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ProfYaffle
Beginner
Message 8 of 33

Go to solution

Just tried in Firefox and IE, same behaviour on both - blank table, stays blank no matter how often I click back and forth between the Active and Blocked tabs.

BT.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 33

Go to solution

From within the app>my service>Stop using BT ST service is the bottom option. 

I havent had the bottle to select it and see what happens next though Smiley Surprised

AQ.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 33

Go to solution

@Prof Yaffle; are you sure you are selecting the correct account for the phone you have ST on; you said above you have more than one? Daft Q I know.

AQ.

0 Ratings