Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
radii
Contributor
Message 21 of 33

Re: SmartTalk - Failure to (re-)Register

Go to solution

i think there is a need to go back to the drawing board, especially for the setup/registration aspect

0 Ratings
ProfYaffle
Beginner
Message 22 of 33

Go to solution

Update...

I re-registered my mobile 'phone last night. After a flurry of communication (email, 'phone call...), that number appeared on my account - so my Active Users box was no longer blank. A test, and I could make calls (although it did complain about signal quality, when my 'phone was reporting a strong dBm signal since I was sitting a metre from my 300Mbps 802.11N router... whatever!).

I waited a bit, and then changed the allowed calls (i.e. I enabled international and premium rate calls), just to make sure everything was working. That order processed correctly by this morning.

So... check the web site, still no option to cancel in any way, shape or form (if anyone does have this on mybt, please feel free to post a screenshot here so I know what I'm missing out on).

However, I could now start the application on my 'phone, and select the Stop Service option from the relevant screen. Checking mybt again, I can see that there is now an order in progress, plus I'm unable to go into Manage your BT SmartTalk service because "We are currently processing a previous request". Fingers crossed...

If this works, I think I'll be left with a couple of observations:

1. Wait for things to complete before you do *anything* else, wait again, and then wait a bit longer just to make sure.

2. There is no option to stop the service from the web site, only from your mobile. Don't believe anything that says otherwise.

3. You can only stop the service if you're able to log in, so you need to be enabled and logging in as an active user - most probably, the primary user (account holder).

Maybe running before I'm walking, though, so I'm going to leave it another few hours and see what transpires.

0 Ratings
ProfYaffle
Beginner
Message 23 of 33

Go to solution

No, this is b*****ed.

The order to stop was processed, but my account once again now just shows the blank Users table under Manage My Service.

The application on my mobile says "oh, you need to set it all up again", but then won't let me because my mobile number is still associated with the first account - even though mybt shows that it isn't. It then gives me the option to "edit my home phone number" (a/k/a "use the one we think you should be using, and stop having an opinion on anything else") or "stop your service"... and the latter then fails, because I'm back to the position I was before: you can't stop a service that you're not registered on.

I'll try the in-app contact option now, but I'm going to alert the mods to this thread as well.

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 33

Go to solution
Do the in app report but use the contact the mods pro forma by clicking one of their id's.

What a caper.
AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
ProfYaffle
Beginner
Message 25 of 33

Go to solution

Update 30/01

In-app report issued a week ago. No response.

Moderators contacted at the same time. David Moon responded on 26th (Saturday) to tell me that he'd referred it over to the Smart Talk team (thank you, David!). I await a response - nothing yet.

I have had yet more paperwork from BT in the meantime, welcoming me (again...) to SmartTalk and telling me to call 150 with any issues. Clearly an exercise in poking the tiger, given that the folks on that number are utterly unaware of the service, so directing a likely-to-be-irked customer that way is hardly likely to end well.

I'll update in due course if I get anything.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 33

Go to solution

@ProfYaffle;  Ive been keeping an eye on this thread, there have been some upgradig of bt.com since your last post.  I had [again] similar problems with registered users [wife/daughter] which seems ok now.

Keep taking a peep at bt.com and see if you notice any changes there.

AQ.

0 Ratings
ProfYaffle
Beginner
Message 27 of 33

Go to solution
@AQ: thanks for the tip. Alas, no change. I'll nose in every few days, but I think I'm nearing the point of simply surrendering.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 28 of 33

Go to solution

Keep checking.  I suspect its bt.com thats flaky here, and the BTST app issue not provisioned correctly on bt.com is a feature of that.

AQ.

0 Ratings
ProfYaffle
Beginner
Message 29 of 33

Go to solution

Update 05/02

Still no word from anyone. No call back. No more emails. No change to mybt (well, apart from the layout, but no new functionality).

I've contacted the mods again to see if they can help, but I know they're simply stuck in between me and what is clearly an utterly uninterested Smart Talk team. BT corporate should be embarassed - I've basically been ignored for two, maybe three weeks now, having initially been misled, misunderstood and generally fobbed off with my first calls.

Growl.

0 Ratings
ProfYaffle
Beginner
Message 30 of 33

Go to solution

Update 12/02

Full marks to Mr David Moon, moderator of this parish. He picked this one up and ran with it, and has managed to beat a response out of the SmartTalk team despite their evident reluctance to speak directly with the public.

It seems to be that you can re-associate a device (mobile 'phone) with a different landline number and account - but you can't re-associate a mybt login with a different number. In other words, because I used my normal email address and mybt credentials when I first registered SmartTalk, I cannot use that email address for any other registration. When I used a different email address and created a new BT login, everything worked fine.

One to watch if you're in the habit of allowing visiting kids, parents or similar to latch onto your home calling plan, as they'll never be able to re-register anywhere else with the same credentials. If that's what you want to do, either set up a sacrificial email account or else use gmail's filtering (address+filter@gmail.com) format to create "shadow" addresses.