cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
silicondale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

So much for unlimited wi-fi minutes

I've been a BT business broadband customer for about 12 years, and upgraded (?) last year to a BT Total Business Broadband account. It comes with unlimited wi-fi minutes or so they said. I thought this was an advance on the 6000 free minutes I had on the previous contract.

That is, until I come to use it. My old 9-digit numerical username (which they issued to me in 2009) doesn't work on BT Openzone or BT Fon, both of which want email addresses. My xxx@btconnect.com email address also doesn't work as they apparently want xxx@btinternet.com or xxx@btopenzone.com addresses only. So how am I supposed to access wi-fi ?

I phoned the BT Fon helpline this afternoon, and a very helpful gentlemen with an Asian accent spent some time trying to find the answer. What he said sounded eminently sensible - when given three options on the landing page (BT Fon, BT Openzone, BT Total Broadband) I should choose the BT Total Broadband and he assured me the numeric username would work just fine. Only problem is, the landing page doesn't give three options, and BT Total Broadband is nowhere to be seen.

So this evening I tried again. Another very helpful operator told me apologetically that she was providing support only for domestic customers, and politely asked me to re-dial, the 0845 600 7020 number, for business customers. Of course, as I immediately found, this support line works only "business" hours, 9am to 6pm Monday to Friday. Travelling tomorrow so this is b****dy useless.

The whole thing raises some odd questions, such as - why are there different brands for what ought to be one service (BT Fon, BT Openzone)? Why does it not reognise BTconnect.com email addresses? What happened to the old 9-digit usernames? Why does BT think businesses only operate 9-6 and only 5 days a week?

Angry is a mild understatement. It isn't the cost - I can buy a coffee and get "free" wifi if I really want to. It's the principle. This is something that is part of the package that I have bought, and the first time I come to use it, it's not usable.

If anyone has some clue how I get to a wi-fi landing page that gives me the option allowing me to use the old 9-digit username, I should be very grateful.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: So much for unlimited wi-fi minutes

You need to post on the BT Business forum here http://business.forums.bt.com/

This forum is for domestic users only.

What I did find was this page, which seems to indicate a user name and password screen

http://www.btopenzone.com/help/how-to-log-in.jsp

If it is any help.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

this is a forum for bt residential customers - you need to post in the business forum http://business.forums.bt.com/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
silicondale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Thanks. But if it's for residential customers, why did the BT business broadband page link to it then ?  By the way, that login screen says 'username' but wants an email address. Good try, but I've already been round that loop.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

this is a customer help customer forum for residential customers and the help you need is from the business forum mods who are BT employees

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 14

@silicondale wrote:

Thanks. But if it's for residential customers, why did the BT business broadband page link to it then ?  By the way, that login screen says 'username' but wants an email address. Good try, but I've already been round that loop.

This is one of the weird ways BT works like directing your call to a person in India that does not deal with business customers. Very helpful I am sure, anyhoo if you can see the FON landing page, it should have 3 options, tick one and try to login, try all 3, one of them should work with your primary email address, the one BT gave you ie, and password. 

Just a thought but if the FON or OZ signal is not strong enough, that will also prevent you from logging in. So make sure you have a good signal.

silicondale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Thanks - but that's the problem, I don't getb the Fon landing page. I get a BT OZ landing page with a dropdiown list. Although this includes the BT Total Braodband option that doesn't help. It accepts neither my 9-digit username nor my real btconnect email address. NOr does the BT OZ's own landing page. I can't even find a BT Fon option, and I think the FON option is something different as it has no BT branding at all. Have given up. Not worth the effort. Will try again through the business forum though not seriously expecting tem to work weekends. After all, it's only our country's future that depends on a bit of buisness flexibility and effort....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 14

You're right in thinking that a lot of this stuff needs to be rationalised, or at least explained properly. The help facilities so often seem to be useful only to anyone who already knows the answer. :smileymad:

I think your sign-in problem relates to the definition of the user name required on the landing page. All you need is your email user name, ie the bit before the @ in your email address. It will accept a full email address only if the domain is btinternet.com; any other domain name (in your case btconnect.com) will be rejected.

That certainly applies to domestic email addresses and I hope it will for you. If so, light a candle for me and wonder why on earth BT can't clarify it.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

The business forum members are ordinary business customers, and is moderated by BT, so you may well get an answer.

As a domestic user, I do have a pay as you go BT Openzone account, in the form that you describe. I have just logged into the BTOpenzone page at http://www.btopenzone.com/index.jsp and there is an option to login to view your account.

You do not need to be connected to a hotspot to do that, so it may be worth you trying to see if you can login there, as it will prove whether your account is still active.

I have to use it if I want access to BT Openzone partner sites.

What I am wondering in your case, as a business user, is that you may only have access to the proper BTOpenzone hotspots run by BTand their roaming partners, and not the ones provided by domestic home hubs.

That is why you cannot see an option to use your account.

silicondale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Thanks, each.... good suggestions. I have now disabled the BTOpenzone on my own router, so will try these at the airport. If I can't get it to work there - well, I'll just spend a little longer in the bar!

0 Ratings