Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thebrianyoung
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

Softphone settings for Mac users

Go to solution

Can anyone tell me the get-around for BTs softphone not working on Macs? I want to use a softphone such as X-Lite or Voix with my current Broadband Talk account. They don't work no matter what I try. I have been given some info by a BT Softphone person, but it didn't work.

So how about it? Any Mac users out there using BT Broadband Talk on a softphone?

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Malcolm_Herring
Contributor
Message 2 of 19

Re: Softphone settings for Mac users

Go to solution

The way I got BT's Softphone running on my Mac was to install VirtualBox (free from Sun Microsystems) and install Windows within that and install softphone on the Windows VirtualBox. Of course, to do this you need a legal Windows install disc (can be found on eBay for around £20).

Since I do not use my Mac for serious phone usage, I have not explored native Mac VoIP client applications. Since BTBB Talk uses standards-compliant SIP protocols, any such software should work OK.

A quick Google search throws up a number of likely candidates!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Malcolm_Herring
Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

Oops! I did not read your post carefully enough - I thought you were wanting to run BT's Softphone, not the other VoIP clients that you mentioned.

Of those two, Voix is not a SIP client, so cannot be used. X-Lite is a SIP client, and being free, I downloaded & tried it out. I got it to register, make outgoing calls & receive incoming calls, but without any audio working. In both cases the RTP session was running OK in both directions, but no sound was forthcoming.

Does this match your experience?

0 Ratings
thebrianyoung
Beginner
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

Yes, I am trying to use X-lite. I get as far as it registering (I think), but then a pre-recorded voice tells me I can't make or receive calls on this line. Can you remember what settings you used? I've tried every combination of SIP address and password variations (eg changing phone no prefix to 44 1 instead of 01). BTs own softphone is PC only.

Re your sound problem - did you look in X-Lite's Options section? You can tell it there to switch the mac's own speakers on and off....

0 Ratings
Malcolm_Herring
Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

Account section

-------------------

Display Name: 0<last 10 digits of BTBBT number>

User Name: 44<last 10 digits of BTBBT number>

Password: <15 character string from HH BBT setup>

Authorization user name: 44<last 10 digits of BTBBT number>

Register with domain: checked

Send outbound via: proxy: sip.btsip.bt.net

Topology section

--------------------

Use local IP address

Stun: Use specified server (leave blank-i.e no STUN)

0 Ratings
Brian1947
Beginner
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks. But it still doesn't work for me. My password, which starts bbtalk**** doesn't have 15 characters. I did everything else though. Hmmmmm...Smiley Mad

0 Ratings
Malcolm_Herring
Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

Ah-ha! that is your problem! To get your encrypted password to the following:

go to this page: https://service.btbroadbandvoice.bt.com/bbv/online/consumerConfig

Put in your BBTalk phone number & your plain text password

click 'Next'

On the page that appears, click "Configure hub/router"

A little pop-up should appear with a button labelled "Configure"

Right-click on that button and select "Copy link location"

Open a text editor and paste (cmd-v). A long line of text appears.

Look for the string "SIPPassword1="

Copy the next 15 characters (those between the '=' and '&' characters).

Paste that into the X-Lite SIP account password field.

thebrianyoung
Beginner
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

That did the trick! You've done what BT call centres around the world have failed to do. I was told categorically it couldn't be done.Smiley Very Happy

Thanks!!

0 Ratings
daven5
Message 9 of 19

Re: Softened settings for Mac users

Go to solution

Mm. I'm having these problems as well setting up X-Lite for use with BBT on MAC and have followed the instructions above to the letter, Thanks guys its been a great help and after some effort I found the 15 digit password, but I am still unable to connect:

I am being prompted with Display Name: 0xxxxxxxxxx

User Name: 44xxxxxxxxxx

Password: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Authorisation user name: 44xxxxxxxxxx

Domain: ?

then the Domain proxy settings:

Register with domain: checked

Proxy: checked                  Address: sip.btsip.bt.net

so my questions are:

1. From the string that held the password, I notice that the SIP user name is 44xxxxxxxxxx@btsip.bt.com do I need to add the @btsip.bt.com to the user name above?

2. Do you know what the domain should be?

3. Again in the long string that held the password I notice the Proxy address is sip.btsip.bt.net, which is subtly different to what you advise previously, do I need to add this bt. to the proxy address in the x-lite cofiguration?

Any help would be most appreciated.

0 Ratings
Malcolm_Herring
Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Re: Softened settings for Mac users

Go to solution

The domain is: btsip.bt.com

X-lite will append this to your Authorisation name.

You are correct about the proxy name: sip.btsip.bt.net is what I actually used. I got it wrong in my post - sorry if that caused you problems! I have edited my original post.

BTW, my problem with lack of sound was fixed, at Counterpath's suggestion, by using their Beta version 4 X-lite. Apparently it is a Snow Leopard support issue not addressed in version 3.

0 Ratings