Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bridgfordkid
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Spamhaus IP blocking

Hi,

I changed the password on a email account (provided by 123-reg) and now the outgoing emails are being blocked. Incoming is fine. I have followed links and the following appeared. How do I unblock? Thanks.

The Spamhaus PBL 
Help

I don't understand
what to do about this?
Ref: PBL231589

86.128.0.0/11 is listed on the Policy Block List (PBL)

Outbound Email Policy of BT Retail for this IP range:

It is the policy of BT Retail that unauthenticated email sent from this IP address should be sent out only via the designated outbound mail server allocated to BT Retail customers. Please consult the following URL for details on how to configure your email client appropriately. http://btybb.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/btybb.cfg/php/enduser/cci/bty_adp.php?p_sid=fPnV4zhj&p_faqid=6876

Removal Procedure

Removal of IP addresses within this range from the PBL is not allowed by the netblock owner's policy.

About The PBL

The Spamhaus Policy Block List ("PBL") is an international anti-spam system maintained by The Spamhaus Project in conjunction with Internet Service Providers and is used by Internet networks to enforce inbound email policies. The PBL database lists end-user IP address ranges which should not be delivering unauthenticated email to any mail server except those provided for specifically for that customer's use. The PBL lists only IP addresses (not domains or email addresses).

For full information on how the PBL operates please see the PBL Home page and the PBL Frequently Asked Questions.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Spamhaus IP blocking

@bridgfordkid wrote:

Hi,

I changed the password on a email account (provided by 123-reg) and now the outgoing emails are being blocked. Incoming is fine. I have followed links and the following appeared. How do I unblock? Thanks.

The Spamhaus PBL 
Help

I don't understand
what to do about this?
Ref: PBL231589

86.128.0.0/11 is listed on the Policy Block List (PBL)

Outbound Email Policy of BT Retail for this IP range:

It is the policy of BT Retail that unauthenticated email sent from this IP address should be sent out only via the designated outbound mail server allocated to BT Retail customers. Please consult the following URL for details on how to configure your email client appropriately. http://btybb.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/btybb.cfg/php/enduser/cci/bty_adp.php?p_sid=fPnV4zhj&p_faqid=6876

Removal Procedure

Removal of IP addresses within this range from the PBL is not allowed by the netblock owner's policy.

About The PBL

The Spamhaus Policy Block List ("PBL") is an international anti-spam system maintained by The Spamhaus Project in conjunction with Internet Service Providers and is used by Internet networks to enforce inbound email policies. The PBL database lists end-user IP address ranges which should not be delivering unauthenticated email to any mail server except those provided for specifically for that customer's use. The PBL lists only IP addresses (not domains or email addresses).

For full information on how the PBL operates please see the PBL Home page and the PBL Frequently Asked Questions.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

It looks like there is a setup issue when you use the 123-reg email account. How are you sending emails ? Is it via 123-reg mail servers (or your own) ?

The system is seeing your public IP address, and rightly is on the blocklist as users should be using either the ISP (in this case BTinternet smart host - mail.btinternet.com), or your own mail server or other company mail server. However for the latter, it typically needs to be correctly setup with the IP address of that company and have a correct rDNS.

0 Ratings
bridgfordkid
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

I've just added the account to mail on my macbook, sending from home.

Cheers,

Pete

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Who's SMTP server are you using to send?

0 Ratings
bridgfordkid
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

it's smtp.123-reg.co.uk

Cheers,

Pete

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

@Andy_N wrote:

@bridgfordkid wrote:

The system is seeing your public IP address, and rightly is on the blocklist as users should be using either the ISP (in this case BTinternet smart host - mail.btinternet.com), or your own mail server or other company mail server. However for the latter, it typically needs to be correctly setup with the IP address of that company and have a correct rDNS.

@Andy_N I've seen this before where the end user's IP address is shown as the sending address rather than the SMTP server, but I can't remember how it was resolved.

@bridgfordkid@If you have an @btinternet.com address, you could send using mail.btinternet.com SMTP server authenticating with your @btinternet.com addres and password.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

@licquorice wrote:

@Andy_N wrote:

@bridgfordkid wrote:

@Andy_N I've seen this before where the end user's IP address is shown as the sending address rather than the SMTP server, but I can't remember how it was resolved.

I too have been racking my braincell why the end user's IP address is being treated as the sending IP address rather than the mail server one. It might be to do with SPF or rDNS, but the OP just changed a password !

Perhaps a support ticket to 123-reg might be an idea.

0 Ratings