Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Parply
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Spammed by BT Protect advert in Windows 10 notification centre

Go to solution

For the last few days I've started getting largish "toast" dialogs popping up for the windwos notification cente on my Windows 10 laptop. It advertises upgrading to BT protect for 15 devices. Pointless as I already have this. So targetting is wrong and I'm getting annoyed by it reappearing. If I google combinations of BT protect, notification centre, popup, blocking etc. all I seem to get are links to BT pages offering statements that BT never uses popups on its webpages (not true given the regular we want your feedback one) and details of how to block browser popups. But nothing to block this irritating toast one. I can see how to turn off all notifications in windows settings and per app ones but there is nothing that seems specific to BT Protect. I would rather not turn off useful notifications, especially if they relate to system security, just to get rid of this annoyance.

So does anyone here know how to cleanly and specifically stop this ill considered, inappropriate, and irritating spam from BT ?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Spammed by BT Protect advert in Windows 10 notification centre

Go to solution

@Parply wrote:

For the last few days I've started getting largish "toast" dialogs popping up for the windwos notification cente on my Windows 10 laptop. It advertises upgrading to BT protect for 15 devices. Pointless as I already have this. So targetting is wrong and I'm getting annoyed by it reappearing. If I google combinations of BT protect, notification centre, popup, blocking etc. all I seem to get are links to BT pages offering statements that BT never uses popups on its webpages (not true given the regular we want your feedback one) and details of how to block browser popups. But nothing to block this irritating toast one. I can see how to turn off all notifications in windows settings and per app ones but there is nothing that seems specific to BT Protect. I would rather not turn off useful notifications, especially if they relate to system security, just to get rid of this annoyance.

So does anyone here know how to cleanly and specifically stop this ill considered, inappropriate, and irritating spam from BT ?

1./ Try cleaning your browser history.

2./ Look in Windows disk cleanup, and delete  any Offline Web pages. Is BT your browser Homepage?

3./ Have you done a malware check? ....just in case?

0 Ratings
Parply
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

I did what you suggest. I do all of them relatively often anyway and doubted it would make difference. This is not a web browser/browsing issue. The popup appears to be coming from the windows notification centre which will be using Edge. It seems to have been triggered by the windows notification system.

Anyway I think I've found what is causing it. In BT/McAffee settings and alerts there is an option to control informational alerts related to protection status. One of the sub options is "Protect more devices with your subscription". Google comes up blank on this. But this is the theme of the popup and the option was on (and is now off).

If I am correct this essentially confirms my suspicion that a mechanism for providing security and security related information is being abused to present marketing material. I'm irritated but not entirely surprised if this is what is going on. AV product marketing is generally not so different to ransomeware in how it presents itself. Nor are some of the ways they both try to get themselves persistently installed on your system. Just the fact that it comes from BT, is on by default, and it is not obvious how to stop it implies BT has an interesting perspective on what is acceptable to impose upon its customers.

So hopefully I have resolved my problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

It's one of those problems which has either a direct solution, or a workaround.

You mentioned EDGE?  McAfee doesn't integrate with the EDGE browser, so I suppost you mean that the notifications are activated by EDGE always running in the background.

There's another way which may eliminate the annoying notification. When it appears, right click on the pop up referring to McAfee, and you should see an option to disable alerts from this app.

Either way, you appear to have fixed the problem,

0 Ratings
Parply
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

I started getting these ads again. I checked the "protect more devices with your subscription" and it was ticked off. My suspicion is that it got turned off during an automated McAfee update. If true this is very cynical. But not quite as cynical as interleaving application settings that affect marketing preferences and actual application function in such a cryptic manner. Assuming this setting is how these ads are managed. I'm left musing whether there is a GDPR related element here. After all I'm getting marketing oriented material forced upon me even after I believe I have indicated that I do not want it.

BTW it is not remotely appropriate to suggest turning off all notifications from McAfee given it is supposed to be alerting me to security issues.

0 Ratings